Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Trim Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Default Trim Removal

Hey I have some trim I wanted to paint up to match the exterior (Red), anyone got any tips or directions on how to remove these? On the stereo and heat/ac controls, i am interested in removing the outer "ring" part...

Attached Thumbnails Trim Removal-downsize.jpg1.jpg   Trim Removal-downsize.jpg   Trim Removal-downsize.jpg2.jpg  
Old 02-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The outer ring of the stereo just snaps out. I use a butter knife to get it started and just follow it around unsnapping as I go. Good luck!

The dash part is a bit more difficult and I have never tried to remove the window switch trim.

Last edited by MillerMonteSS; 02-27-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

for the dash you will have to remove the whole thing like in my video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBMP6BSkKc

the ones on the door you will probably have to remove the whole door panel

Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fogertyb
Hey I have some trim I wanted to paint up to match the exterior (Red), anyone got any tips or directions on how to remove these? On the stereo and heat/ac controls, i am interested in removing the outer "ring" part...
carefully

in all honest i dont know though, but i can give you this advise, if you've ever dealt with any trim you can easily deal with any new car, their almost always intuitive and rather simple connections, in GM they tend to be snap in parts. i believe the ring trim for the radio in the 7th gen is just a snap-in piece.

this thread does give me an autoimmunity to ask though as i do have a piece of trim even i am afraid to play with with out any knolage, so if anybody has any knowage or experience removing the vinyl covered dash its self, the very top piece, that spans the the entire dash, i would greatly appriciate any help i havn't yet had the time to google this up yet, but i'll get around to it, in the mean time any advice would be great ^_^

Old 02-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
carefully

in all honest i dont know though, but i can give you this advise, if you've ever dealt with any trim you can easily deal with any new car, their almost always intuitive and rather simple connections, in GM they tend to be snap in parts. i believe the ring trim for the radio in the 7th gen is just a snap-in piece.

this thread does give me an autoimmunity to ask though as i do have a piece of trim even i am afraid to play with with out any knolage, so if anybody has any knowage or experience removing the vinyl covered dash its self, the very top piece, that spans the the entire dash, i would greatly appriciate any help i havn't yet had the time to google this up yet, but i'll get around to it, in the mean time any advice would be great ^_^
i think it pulls directly out after a few screws are removed.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
i think it pulls directly out after a few screws are removed.
really? i'll have to look at it, i'm sure the bottom part of the dash has to come out to get at the screws. does that black peice against the glass just pop out? i kind of played it with the other day for a moment seems like it might just pop out?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 AM

Trim ring has three snap in peices on each side (none on the top or bottom) When I took mine out I broke it. Fixed it now but it was broke.

The Dash comes out again with snap in clips, The only thing that you will have to undo is the Switch panel on the right side of the cluster. This panel is again snaps out but be carfull since the top dash pad is soft and can mark easy.

The window switches will have to come out with the whole door panel. There is no way of getting them out otherwise. Be carefull there as well since GM decided to make the wire leading the the switches short and you dont have much room to play with.

I would suggest on going to a local auto supply store and getting panel remoel kits (basicly hard plastic knifes that are different shapes and angles.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:17 AM

will i need to paint the door parts on the door panel or will they come off once i get the door panel off? they seem like they could possibly pop off somehow...

and thanks for the responses

Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 AM

Oh I forgot they can pop off from the door once the whole soor skin is removed the door. There is three spring clips that hold that on. The top side of the handle and the switches and silver sections all come off as one peice. You can remove the switches but the palstic holding them in is thin.

Quick Reply: Trim Removal