Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Switched 12v Source for Remote Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Default Switched 12v Source for Remote Wire?

Hi, I am trying to wire an amp for a small subwoofer in my 2006 Monte Carlo LS.

I wanted to keep the stock deck so I bought a Line output converter to hook up my amp. Normally I would run the blue remote turn-on lead wire to the back of the aftermarket deck to turn on the amp with the car, I can't do that in this setup.

I tried to connect the turn-on lead to the AMP fuse in the interior fusebox but that supplies juice even when the key is turned off. In my friends Ford Focus the switched fuses only had power when the key was on, but the Monte must be switched elsewhere.

My question: What is an easy place to get to into to get 12V switched power without digging around too much? Also: Is necessary it necessary to buy a small in-line fuse for the turn-on lead?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

no fuse necessary it does nothing more then tell the amp to be on or off. u can hook it up to the ignition wire or keep it the way u got it and put a switch on to turn it on or off

Old 10-04-2009, 11:55 AM

hes something for you, and its the same thing that i did with my system, because i am still running the stock deck. so since we have now remote wire to hook up because our decks dont have one, all i did was take some good speaker wire around 15 feet long (but you can have it how ever long as you want) strip the both ends and hook on to a toogle switch and put it in your glove box and run the wire under the plastic molding on the pass side into the trunk where the amp is, hook one wire into the amp where your power wire goes, and the other side where the remote wire is suppose to go. and there you go, when you want bass just open your glove box and flip the switch, it takes about 3-5 secs for the amp to turn on. but on a side note dont forget to shut the switch back off when you shut your car off. because your amp will still be on with your car off.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:51 PM

Hi, thanks for the replies. I don't really wanna do a switch because I know I will eventually be in a hurry and forget to switch it off.

What is the easiest source to tap into the ignition wire or any other switched 12v wire?

Thanks,
Travis

Old 10-04-2009, 06:56 PM

the yellow wire in the back of your factory deck should be switched 12v source

Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Not to confuse but...I thought it was red

Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 AM

I used no inline fuse for my truck, the main power i had a fuse though thats the important one, usually you can go to walmart or best buy and get a install kit but make sure its for your wattage they will have the right size fuse

Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 AM

wow, you guys are giving him advice that's akin to using a sledge hammer to kill a fly......all you gotta do is just like you did at first, run a lead from the fuse block on the drivers side, I forget exactly which fuse it is at the moment but I can get back to you tomorrow. It won't give constant power either, I promise you. Very quick and easy solution to your problem.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:09 AM

Just use a add a circuit on one of the switched fuses. Wipers, blower, etc.

Quick Reply: Switched 12v Source for Remote Wire?