Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Suggestions for Subwoofer/Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Default Suggestions for Subwoofer/Amp?

Wondering what subs I should get for my 2006 Monte Carlo LT? Sealed, ported, bandpass? I kind of know what they all are. I would rather have sound quality over loudness, but would like some thump. I don't know how much I want to spend yet, but money is not a problem. Also, do I have to get an aftermarket car stereo unit to hook them up in this car? I had a horrible Dual sealed sub before in my truck. Looking for something better.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Hey check this sight out online car stereos .com .. I bought 500 watt Rockford fosgate prime amp.. And 2 kicker 4 ohm 12 inch and put them in them in band pass box and lots of bass So much it rattles the mirroir with 1 bass hit so its plenty and sounds very nice for 230 dollars you can't beat it

Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM

I work at best buy and have worked back in car electronics for over a year now. I have heard a ton of different subs, speakers, etc. Some of the best that I have heard are the Kicker CVR122's. They have a nice clean bass. It doesn't rattle or hit to hard. It's just enough, and as i said it is a rellly clean sounding bass. Another good one is the Polk audio DXi 112. Also another very good clean sounding sub

Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Default audiophile

im not sure what your looking for or your budget but as a sales man for home/car audio bandpass is not a good option.

you will need an aftermarket radio if you want sound quality and bass control..
you will need 1 amp for your subs and 1 for your speakers so they wont distort at higher volumes.
make sure the speaker amp is at least 4 channels and the sub amp can be mono or bi channel it depends on the power you are looking for.
check out hifonics POWERFUL amps better pricing than other brands with less power..if you go with a mono amp (1 chanel) look up wiring diagrams for subs so u can wire it to what ever ohm you desire
for multi channels kickers are great, alpine adn such...you dont really need a really expensive one save it for the amp for the subs

dual is no good. panasonic and pioneer i feel are the best because of their specs and wide ranges of quality. they handle multiple amps as well

as for speakers, pioneer ts-d series amazing sound medium price..the top audio speaker i heard was a jl set but they will range at least 400 a pair...check out the infinity kappa**(looking to upgrade to these) series or the pioneer ts-d series. superb sound

subs: a lot to go with
just make sure what ever sub u choose u look up its specs wether it need a ported or sealed box and most impotently how many cubic feet per sub.

check out Kicker*, fosgate (budget friendly)..RE has some crazy subs made here in the US... honestly sounds better than my JL sub that cost me 800 each
and dont require a larger box.

the choice between 10" and 12" depends on the type of bass you want if you want the deeper kind 12's are king if you want a deep hard hitting type 10 inch is great

good luck lemme no if u need some detailed help

Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 PM

i have an 800 watt amp and 2 10' kickers in a ported box go more than you need as a suggestion if you want durability dont do just enough because at sompoint you will want more

Old 02-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Been doing my own car audio for 20 years, using Rockford Fosgate products for the lows...

I very recently added subs along with rear deck and door speakers to my Monte. For the subwoofer setup I am using:

Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-1 Mono Amp = $109 (new on ebay)

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1S4-12 12" Subs = $112 (new on ebay)

Generic Sealed Dual 12" Sub Box = $70 (already had this)

I have the input gain on the amp set at nominal, and the bass setting on the factory radio only needs to be about half way up. Those settings give me a full body massage while pushing out solid, deep, clean bass.

So, for $300 you can have more bass than you'll ever need