Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Subwoofer Very Quiet

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Subwoofer Very Quiet

Ok so im having this problem with the new subwoofer i just put in. Its a Alpine type x 10 with a Polk Audio PAD1000.1. For some reason its quiet. Its flexing alot but not making much noise inside or out. The amp should be giving it 800 watts RMS, im using 4 gauge for power and ground and 12 gauge for the speaker connections. Ive made sure the positive and negative are hooked up properly and that they are not backwards. My Rockford fosgate p2 with 400 watts rms hit harder then this! Hell even the 2 12" insignia subwoofers with a 500 watt amp was hitting harder then this. Weird thing is that my lights are dimming aswell, but my volts are not dropping on the gauge and the bass isnt even heavy! This is hooked up to a stock headunit with a Stinger Converter for the RCA. ANy Ideas?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Ok so im having this problem with the new subwoofer i just put in. Its a Alpine type x 10 with a Polk Audio PAD1000.1. For some reason its quiet. Its flexing alot but not making much noise inside or out. The amp should be giving it 800 watts RMS, im using 4 gauge for power and ground and 12 gauge for the speaker connections. Ive made sure the positive and negative are hooked up properly and that they are not backwards. My Rockford fosgate p2 with 400 watts rms hit harder then this! Hell even the 2 12" insignia subwoofers with a 500 watt amp was hitting harder then this. Weird thing is that my lights are dimming aswell, but my volts are not dropping on the gauge and the bass isnt even heavy! This is hooked up to a stock headunit with a Stinger Converter for the RCA. ANy Ideas?
Are there settings on the converter that could affect the volume?

Check your cutoff frequency on the amp, it could be set too low. Also consider the gain and/or bass boost settings on the amp.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member

The settings on the converter are at there max, The input level on the amp is Maxed, bass boost i try to have it off always but even with it full blast its still not bumping like it should. The frequencys on the amp are tuned aswell.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member

Also this is the same car i used my rock ford fosgate with, the type r with and the 2 12's. All sounded great except for this one which is odd

Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Maybe like not enough power is going to the subs. Inside the subbox the subs may need to get wired into a different configuration.

Or you may need to consider that some of the equipment is faulty.

It's hard to say, I never ran into "quiet subs"

Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member

I tripled checked the wiring in the sub even had a DMM to it and ohms were 2.6. Im using 12 gauge wire aswell, im thinking the box may be too small

Old 04-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Lorenzo the Alpine Type X is a Dual 4 ohm sub. Which means you want to wire it to a 2 ohm load for your car. How did you come up with a 2.6ohm reading? That doesn't seem right.

Double check your wiring, it should look like this:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...4-ohm_mono.jpg

Positive to positive to positive on the amp.
Neg to neg to neg on the amp.

If you've done it instead like this:
http://staticimages.hifisoundconnect...m_dvc_8ohm.jpg
then you'll be at an 8ohm load and you won't get much out of that amp.

Got pictures of your box and wiring? Also, the converter could be one that doesn't have more than .5v output to the RCA. You want 2v minimum.
Update the thread and I think we can get it sorted out.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe,
The Amp is Faulty...????

Id say go back to your old system..at least that 1 worked?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member

Ok the way i got it wired is this way. Alpine SWX1042D Manual (Page 2 of 5) if you go to page 2 and look at the 2ohm sub thats the way i have it setup with the jumpers in the right place. Ive been calculating the box and i found out that the box is too big for the subwoofer for a sealed enclosure. I am going to port it because then it would match the cubic feet for a ported box. The sub hits hard on lows and i can barley hear the highs. And i cant go back to the old system Stumpmi...i sold it to buy this one :P