Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Subs VS Winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 02:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
there's no need to treat it differently during the first few hours of play. Plus, in all the excitement of getting new subs, who wants to wait to hear it pound?
I not being ignorant here im just sayin what i feel lol....A person who want the sub to last and sound great will allow it to be broken in properly...one of my friends failed to do this step and i warned him but he did anyway. bought a brand new sub for $500 and the coil was burned up by the end of the day.

Also if you purchase a sub from a reputable dealer the sub you buy already is broken it and ready to go which is how my previous sub was bought!!! Unless you request a brand new one out of the box

Old 12-10-2009, 02:43 PM

Didn't mean to imply that you're ignorant. Sorry if that's how it came accross. Just lots of different opinoins on the topic, we have different ones

Your friend's situation is a bad example though. If the voice coil burned up, it was due to either being over powered or recieving a clipped signal from the amp. Burning voice coils are a power issue, not a surround or suspension issue.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:06 PM

Burning voice coils are a power issue, not a surround or suspension issue.
X2! Actually during cold weather amp impedance drops and can/will push more power through the speakers/subs. If the amp is too much for the speakers/subs and the previous mention condition exist, the amp can blow the VCs. I seen people packing ice on their amps prior SPL competitions to lower the amp's impedance to make them push more watts. (10-20% more power).

Old 12-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
Didn't mean to imply that you're ignorant. Sorry if that's how it came accross. Just lots of different opinoins on the topic, we have different ones

Your friend's situation is a bad example though. If the voice coil burned up, it was due to either being over powered or recieving a clipped signal from the amp. Burning voice coils are a power issue, not a surround or suspension issue.
No you weren't i was just letting you know i wasnt trying to be...its all cool

Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM

ive had a lot of subs in my time and i never did anything diff in the winter months.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM

I had problems but only in the year round, hot and humid climate, where the surround of both subs became unglued. It only happened with the cheaper JLs and not with the Eclipses I bought to replace them. Cold weather tends to be more forgiving when it comes to stereo components.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 PM

im in pa and as captaindammit would say its reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal uuber cold here now. and my kickers are doin fine. ive never removed a set of subs for winter but then again i dont really play them half as loud as i do in the summer

Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i remove my subs, only because its cold out, things are more delicate in the cold and theres moving parts in a subwoofer, plus i dont like the extra rattling because of things getting cold and compacting...

i think its just a safety precaution really, whos really in the mood for bumping music that could shatter your teeth in the freezing weather anyways lol

its -20 here by the way, thats half of why i do it hah

Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 PM

The rattling teeth won't let you hear the music anyway, lol!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

haha i suppose your right...

for once...

just kidding! lol

Quick Reply: Subs VS Winter