Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Stock Head Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Stock Head Unit Replacement

Ok, couple questions I hope someone can answer for me. I have installed many car audio/video products, and I was wondering how much of a pain is it to replace the factory radio in my 04 monte carlo ss? I know I will have to buy an onstar module, a module for my steering wheel controls, a module for my XM radio, and of course the wiring harness adapter and dash kit.

So I have never done steering wheel controls, onstar, or xm radio. How much of a pain are these to install? Can I use the same XM antenna that is currently on my car or do I need a new one? The onstar I dont use it is there something else that it is linked to if I dont reconnect it that I will lose? I was told that with the wired steering wheel interfaces they only work with 4 buttons?!?! Is this true what do I need to make it work with all 8?

Basically I am looking at getting the Pioneer AVH-4000DVD which is about $500 retail. I went to buy one and have it installed as I was being lazy and didnt want to do it, but I was told that it would be close to $1300 installed. I think that might be a bit inflated? I have never had one installed so I am not sure if that is or not. It did include the above mentioned modules and installation of those as well. What do you guys think?

Old 09-30-2008, 06:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
Default RE: Stock Head Unit Replacement

If you're talented, go for it. I'm not that talented. The two 6th gens I've had done took several tries to get it right, but honestly, if you got the time and know how, go for it! If those idiots at Short Circuit City can ALMOST get it right, anyone can, right?
The steering wheel module is programable. Just takes a couple of tries to get what you want where you want.
The XM antenna does work, just not the connector. Not quite sure what I've got there, but I know the factory wire is still in use. I have the Sirius radio piggy-backed on top of the XM unit, with a seperate antenna for that. I prefer the Sirius, but with the merger, not sure whats happening. I DO know that XM was available for $7/mo for a while. Not sure if it still is.
You'll need a seperate speaker for the Onstar module/door chimes. A 3 or 4" will work. Put it under the dash on the pass' side.
There isn't an XM module, it's a reciever, and make sure your deck is compatable with the reciever. If you're using a Pioneer deck, get a Pioneer receiver.
For about $35 you can get a remote mount cable for the factory deck, and mount it in the trunk, to access the cars computer, as once the factory deck is out, things are locked where they're at. Tire and oil monitors aren't a problem. Read the owners manual on how to reset them.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:26 PM

also to get some more help on this do a serch here for replacing factory head uniti there has to be at least 50 topics here that all have usefull info in them . and some will explain diffrent parts of what your talking about here. and also some of the issues that others have ran in to trying to install new H.U. in thier montes etc...

Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 AM

To my understanding because I have the factory CD player I would need the GMOS-04 which is the wiring harness adapter/onstar module?

Also I read that there is a factory radio relocation kit so that I can keep my ability to reset the tire sensors etc. Where do you get this kit?

All of this for MP3 playback seems like a pain lol.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Think Alpine + Ipod + Best Buy recommendations.

I did it by myself, but it cost a couple bucks for all the wiring harnesses.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:55 AM

I ended up getting a Pioneer DEH-6000UB, and I am lovin it. Got my steering wheel controls, onstar, chimes etc. Lovin the USB port got a 8gb flash drive attached

Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 PM

I can't wait to start seeing some Zune interface modules so I can use my Zune in my car and get the best SQ it can put out.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:27 PM

I'm having kind of the same problem. I have a 04 Monte ss without onstar and i've also been told that I need the 100$ harness for a few reasons...I met a guy on cardomain and he said that he has his factory radio in his trunk, he said he did this just so he can reset tire pressure and oil change light! I'm basically tryna find out if this is the way to go..i've been told I don't need it and in some cases i've been told to go for it........is there also a seperate harness for steering wheel controls? i'm looking 2 get pioneer5000ub or 6000

Old 10-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't put the factory deck in the trunk with the $35 harness, as the only thing it does easily for me is reset the tire pressure monitors and the oil life monitor, which can both be done another way. Yes, you need a module to use the steering wheel controls, and another if you want the door chimes to work. Buy the best deck you can afford, with the features you want, get it wired right, and call it a day. The factory deck is excess weight, IMHO. I won't do it again.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM

As far as keeping your steering wheel controls, I was told at multiple audio stores that you just have to buy a special wiring harness. That one was something like $130, compared to the $20 one that will do the job. I am a broke college student, so I just have to suck it up and not use the steering wheel controls. The only problem with the cheaper wiring harness is that you have to run the remote wire to something that is only on when the ignititon is on. (If you dont know, the remote wire tells the stereo when to turn on and off) I just found a fuse in the fuse panel that was on only when the ingnition was on and just pulled the fuse out and jammed it back into the panel with the wire in the power side. Obviously, if you can afford it, go with the more expensive one, but if you cant, it can be done and its really not that hard.

I have an '01 SS and my On Star is on the rear view mirror and has nothing to do with the stereo. Im not sure if yours is set up any differently.

Quick Reply: Stock Head Unit Replacement