Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Still Fighting the Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Still Fighting the Starting

This is a 2002 Monte Carlo LS with 226,000 Started having issue when it got cold outside and the car would sometimes start on the first crank, sometimes it would take turning it off and on what seemed like a thousand times before it would start. Then I hit the forums to figure this thing out.

Soooooo........ After trying to chase down the notorious starting issue, I've replaced everything in the ignition (switch, tumbler with rekey, cylinder,) then did the relearn process. That still did not cure the issue completely, so I decided to replace the BCM after learning about others issues on this forum. Still has not cured my starting issue. So I'm guessing the next thing to try would be the pass lock or VATS bypass. I'll do more research on how those remedies are done, but I just was hoping someone could throw out some ideas that might get this issue gone for good. Thanks for your time guys.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres a thought/Ideas...

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail... (Maybe a failing fuel pump)

Whens the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Have you tried doing a tune up? (When was the last one)

Where do you buy your gas from? Maybe its bad gas maybe try a higher quality of gasoline.(Different brand/station)

Could also be possibly dirty/clogged fuel injectors..
Try adding some seafoam through the system.

Hope this helps..
Keep us posted on your progress or what fixed it..
Welcome to the forum..
Were here to help...

Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Heres a thought/Ideas...

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail... (Maybe a failing fuel pump)

Whens the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Have you tried doing a tune up? (When was the last one)

Where do you buy your gas from? Maybe its bad gas maybe try a higher quality of gasoline.(Different brand/station)

Could also be possibly dirty/clogged fuel injectors..
Try adding some seafoam through the system.

Hope this helps..
Keep us posted on your progress or what fixed it..
Welcome to the forum..
Were here to help...
I was actually updating my signature right after I posted this thread cause I figured it would do some good if everyone had some info about the car.
I just did a complete tune up in March of this year, including the fuel filter. Went with E3 plugs and liking the results, wires, 02 sensors, belt, K&N filter. The car runs great! Great mileage, no stutters. Smooth idle. Ran good before the tune up but it was do for one. As for fuel, I go out of my way to go to a QuickTrip, which is hands down the best stations in my area. The problem has just shown up over this past winter which lead me to investigate and start replacing the common parts that most people have done.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:28 AM

5 Year Member

It may turn out to be the K&N filter dirtying up the MAF...

Some of the fibers come loose and also some of the oil in those filters start to contaminate the MAF...
Theres been very few people who have had success using K&N.

Try using some MAF cleaner on the MAF and see if that doesn't help.

Is it a CAI filter system? or is the filter in the stock configuration?

Old 04-30-2015, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member

It may turn out to be the K&N filter dirtying up the MAF...

Some of the fibers come loose and also some of the oil in those filters start to contaminate the MAF...
Theres been very few people who have had success using K&N.

Try using some MAF cleaner on the MAF and see if that doesn't help.

Is it a CAI filter system? or is the filter in the stock configuration?
The K&N filter is in the original filter box. I can't see it being the K&N do to the fact the issue has been happening before the tune up, and none of the regular fixes for the usually issues have remedied the starting issue. The reason I bring up the Passlock or VATS bypass is because even after the ignition was replaced, then the relearn process, then replacing the BCM, I'm still getting a random security light sometimes when I go to start the car. Sometimes it's not there.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:19 PM

5 Year Member

Do you have an alarm system on it?
Maybe thats the culprit..
I had a starting issue..it turns out..the alarm had to be reprogrammed.. its no longer an issue for me.

One other thing that maybe the problem as well..
Are the E3 spark plugs..
Our Montes perform there best using OEM replacement parts including..MAFs and Spark Plugs
Have/did you change out the MAF with a non ACDelco MAF?
TRY UNPLUGGING THE MAF when your having starting issues and see if that helps.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 04-30-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member

Do you have an alarm system on it?
Maybe thats the culprit..
I had a starting issue..it turns out..the alarm had to be reprogrammed.. its no longer an issue for me.

One other thing that maybe the problem as well..
Are the E3 spark plugs..
Our Montes perform there best using OEM replacement parts including..MAFs and Spark Plugs
Have/did you change out the MAF with a non ACDelco MAF?
Well I've actually increased fuel mileage and throttle response with the E3 plugs, if they don't last long I'll switch the plugs back to the factory plugs. There are no other modifications except the K&N filter (stock air box, stock intake, original MAF) As far as the other suggestions, maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't they hinder performance all together not just starting? The cat runs great when it's starts. It's not a hesitation starting, it's a matter of having it in the ON position, trying to start it and nothing. So then I have to turning it from ON to start over and over again till it starts, and when it does it starts just fine. Also the battery isn't the issue, put an Optima red top in just before the tune up. Not trying to shoot anyone down, and I appreciate the ideas and support. Let's keep the creative thinking flowing guys.

Edit: No alarm system installed

Last edited by dsanford3198; 05-01-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:52 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dsanford3198
Well I've actually increased fuel mileage and throttle response with the E3 plugs, if they don't last long I'll switch the plugs back to the factory plugs. There are no other modifications except the K&N filter (stock air box, stock intake, original MAF) As far as the other suggestions, maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't they hinder performance all together not just starting? The cat runs great when it's starts. It's not a hesitation starting, it's a matter of having it in the ON position, trying to start it and nothing. So then I have to turning it from ON to start over and over again till it starts, and when it does it starts just fine. Also the battery isn't the issue, put an Optima red top in just before the tune up. Not trying to shoot anyone down, and I appreciate the ideas and support. Let's keep the creative thinking flowing guys.

Edit: No alarm system installed
Have you tried this suggestion?

Old 05-07-2015, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member

Have you tried this suggestion?

Sorry about the delay updating the thread. So I've tried the suggestions above to no avail. Some of the other symptoms that are happening are, the A/C turns it's self on when the car finally starts, and the radio is randomly changing through the preset stations with no one touching any buttons. The BCM has been replaced so I'm not sure what brought these issue out. Any more ideas?

Old 05-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

The Body Control Module is a computer which controls many things in your car not directly related to the engine. Instead of large wiring looms en relais and circuits all over the car all the buttons connect to a single computer which in turn turns on the headlights, open the windows, control the central door locking, etc. A good example is the VAGCOM system in Volkswagens and Audi's.

A Body Control Module is almost always specifically programmed to work with a specific car. For example, a BCM of another vehicle will not open the doors when you use your key or remote. Also, when you try to start the engine it checks the number of the key and a number in the Engine Control Unit as a anti-theft mechanism. Your ECU also does this check, but your BCM can do additional checks like locking the doors to prevent the thief from leaving.

It sounds like yours is pocessed or something.
Maybe the thing is faulty can you have it checked by a service center?

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Still Fighting the Starting