Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

steerin wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Default steerin wheel controls

will the steerin wheel controls still work if i hook up a new radio to the car. will it get power to them to change the song and raise the volume. or not.. i heard it wouldnt but wanted everyones second oprion.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Default RE: steerin wheel controls

You lose the controls, but you can gain them back by installing something else.

One of the other guys can give you a link to find that something else, but for the life of me I can't think of the name

Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 AM

can i remove the buttons on the steerin wheel after installin a new radio so that they wont be unuseful and tacky lookin.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 AM

z34phoenix is the one that did it. he pulled his controls out and stuffed a ipod type player into them. but like i told u ant just get some plastic the same color as ur wheel, cut to shape and stick it in and there u go

Old 02-12-2008, 04:41 PM

little off topic but, Where can i get a steering wheel with controls, and will they work with the stock head unit i have now?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:00 PM

to add steering wheel controls to a car that didnt have them, you need:
-the wheel w/ controls
-a new turnsignal switch harness... the controls follow thru this harness thru the steering columb
- the rest of the harness to the stock headunit.

the adapter for the controls to use on an aftermarket HU are called (PAC - X ) you can find them at audio places or online. basicly they turn your controls into a universal remote control but copying the controls from your new headunits own remote.... so your new headunit has to have a remote for this adapter to work.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: 98monte

will the steerin wheel controls still work if i hook up a new radio to the car. will it get power to them to change the song and raise the volume. or not.. i heard it wouldnt but wanted everyones second oprion.
Since you already have the steering wheel controls, you just need to pick up a PAX adapter and hook it up... If I remember it only has 5 wires.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 AM

where can i get the pax wire? and does it hook into the back of the new radio?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 AM

This PAX unit is not just a wire. It is a box that mounts under your dash and it acts like the remote from your CD player. I few things you have to consider is this. The aftermarket deck that you are going to install has to have a remote. The remote is for programming the PAX unit. Think of the Wheel controlls as your new remote. Now you can order the unit here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...00&tp=3405
This also will come with a details install guide and free tech support if you require it.

Here is a little write up on it:

You want to install a non-factory replacement radio in your vehicle, but you hate to give up the convenience of your factory steering wheel radio controls. No worries! PAC's SWI-X interface allows you to use the steering wheel controls in a wide variety of vehicles to command any aftermarket radio with wireless remote capability.
Installation is straightforward — just connect a few wires (a 3-wire hook up in many cars). Programming is made easy with step-by-step LED confirmation. Once connected, the SWI-X's failsafe memory will learn up to 12 functions from your receiver's wireless remote, retaining them even if battery power is interrupted. Dimensions: 3-3/4"W x 1-1/16"H x 1-9/16"D. 1-year warranty.

Also check this out.
https://montecarloforum.com/m_71980/tm.htm

Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Bahh.. That is what I meant: PAC's SWI-X.

Had a Homer moment.

Quick Reply: steerin wheel controls