Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Speaker Replacement Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Default Speaker Replacement Advice Needed

It looks like I am going to have to replace my front door speakers. My driver side door speaker is cutting in and out. Is there any advice on a good speaker type that will easily fit right into place without the need for modifications or should I just put another factory one in place? Would an after market sound better? Will it be hard to remove the door panel? This is for a 2007 Monte Carlo.

Thanks for any advice or guidance.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:25 AM

Assuming it'll be much like an 00-05 Monte, it shouldn't be too hard. Remove all the screws and then just start popping the pins one at a time, working your way around the perimeter of the panel.

If you decide to go aftermarket, get 6.5" component speakers. Anything else would be a waste. With any aftermarket speakers though, you'll have to either buy a harness adapter or cut off the factory harness that connects to the factory speakers and then splice on the wire ends that are included with your new speakers. You'll also have to decide how to mount your aftermarket tweeter. I superglued mine into the factory location, worked great.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if it is 6 3/4 or 6 1/2? I reviewed Crutfield and they have a note that Monte Carlo's do not have an exact match and may require modifying the door? Is this true?

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 04-26-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 PM

6 1/2's will fit fine. with that size, you should be good to go. and if you order from crutch, you get everything that you need to install it

Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm pretty sure it said that for 00-05 Montes too, but my 6.5" speakers dropped right in IIRC. There were two little plastic tabs on each mount used to align the factory speaker that needed to be broken off, but it was no big deal (took 30 seconds with a pocket knife) and the factory speakers could still be mounted just fine without them.

Just little FYI though, I've never been in an 06/07 door personally so it's possible that some things changed a little.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:56 PM

Dealership wants $105 dollars just for one speaker. I have chosen to go aftermarket based on that crazy price. I found some 6.5 Pioneers - 2 way speakers for $49.99 at Crutchfield.

What after markets do you recommend or what did you choose to install?

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 04-26-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Get component speakers. Sounds like you're trying to stay on a tight budget. These would be a good upgrade without costing you too much.
http://www.woofersetc.com/p5207/CLS6...t-Speakers.htm

Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 PM

Can you tell me what makes a component speaker better than a standard 2 way speaker? Also, will there be a noticable difference in the sound quality between the stock speaker and new aftermarket speaker using the stock deck? or will the sound be close to the same?

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 04-26-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 PM

The real advantage is installation flexibility since you can mount the woofer and tweeter seperate and position them each where they sound best. But for an install like yours where you'll be using the factory locations, it's more because of the higher quality equipment. Most coaxials are relatively low quality and cheap for people on tight budgets and that don't know any better, while components are usually built better and will give you an overall better sound.

You'll get better lows because the woofer doesn't have to sacrifice anything to house the tweeter and crossover, and the highs will be better because you'll have a much nicer tweeter instead of the tiny one mounted above the woofer on coaxials. You'll also have a higher quality crossover, and the fact that it's seperate gives you more upgrade flexibility in the future. Plus, you've already got accomadations for the seperate tweeters from the factory (you have factory component speakers).

As for using the stock deck on aftermarket speakers, this is honeslty something I've never done myself. Expect your speakers to sound better but likely not as loud as factory because they are less efficient.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 PM

ill sell you my factory components. jk its not worth the shipping. they sucked anyways.

you don't need components but they are nice.

and by"less efficent i think hes refering to the fact that oem speakers run at 2 ohms and 99 percent of aftermarkets run at 4 ohms so they only utilize have the potential of a stock deck.

really if all you plan on doing is changing out the speakers i wouldnt waste money on components, but if you plan on getting amps and a HU later its a different story.

and the only part that sucks about the door is the window switches stick, so don't force anything. also don't lose the purple rubber thing for the power mirrors. GL i think there is a "how to" thread on door panel removal.

Quick Reply: Speaker Replacement Advice Needed