Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Default Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard

I'm looking to install a CB rig in my Monte, and I'm curious if anyone here has any experience in this area. I was poking around today trying to find the best way I could route this wire from the trunk (where the antenna will be mounted) to the dashboard for the actual CB rig. Obviously I don't want any coax to be visible. I couldn't find much space near the floor by the doors to tuck the cable into. Is there any easy way to get a cable up above the headliner and back down to the floor near the radio? Or am I missing an obvious path near the floor?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you have a 6th gen? If so go between the outside seat and the wall, in between the panel gaps on the side, down the door side, over under the door sill, up it, and under the dash...

Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 AM

Ah yes I forgot to mention I do indeed have a sixth generation. Could you elaborate more on your method? I really have no idea what you were trying to say there. What do you mean by "outside seat"?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:42 PM

I have a 6th gen Monte and I put a cb in my Monte but I didn't put an antenna on the trunk because when you open it the antenna will hit the roof, not good if you want to keep your Monte free of scratches. I have a WILSON 1000 magnet mount just behind the moon roof. See my album for pics of the CB installation and location.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:03 PM

Here are some pics of the antenna and its routing. I put a rain loop in it then over the door tucked in the weather stripping then down to the front of the door. Then into the car along the door sill and around the back of the seat on the floor the next to the console on the right side of it to a 90 degree connector so there is no strain on the coax going into the radio.

Attached Thumbnails Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard-p1010065.jpg   Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard-p1010066.jpg   Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard-p1010067.jpg   Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard-p1010068.jpg   Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard-p1010069.jpg  

Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 PM

That's a pretty decent setup. Not sure if it will work for me coming from the trunk, but a nice install none the less. I don't think I should have any problems with the antenna damaging the back window. It's a fiberglass antenna (bendable) and it's only 3' long. I plan on mounting it as dead center as possible on the trunk.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tommorow ill get more pics for ya, I have a wire for my lights running through the route.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM

I have a coax going to the trunk.. I took my antenna off though. I like the CB for driving the interstate to work, but I am looking for an antenna that doesn't look so white trash...

I ran my coax under the molding to my rear seat and the under that and came up in the trunk.. you can't see a thing..

I can't think of a nice place to mount the CB in my 2006 Monte either.. right now it is under the dash..

I use to have this antenna on my Grand Am..
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/ds14.htm

It actually performed ok.. I am surprised I was able to get it to transmit as far as I did considering the whip was not long enough for CB freqs. I was able to tune it with a SWR meter and a hex key.

They discontinued it because of the economy.. They did keep the Floating Ground version though.... Oh well...

Jeff

Last edited by slinkeey; 03-25-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling - Added More - Spelling
Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 AM

I actually looked into the DS14 antenna as well, but figured I would take a huge performance hit with it. I think the 3 foot black FireStik II will look pretty sharp mounted on the trunk. Part of me thinks it would look better mounted in the rear driver side corner of the trunk, but I think mounting there would be problematic due to support and leveling. I'll be sure to post pictures of how this all looks when I'm finished.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:31 PM

I ended up going behind the seat down towards the quarter panel and running it down to the door sill and then up along the bottom of the glovebox. Here are some pictures!

Attached Thumbnails Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard-p3260001.jpg   Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard-p3260004.jpg   Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard-p3260005.jpg   Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard-p3260006.jpg   Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard-p3260007.jpg  

Quick Reply: Routing coax cable from trunk to dashboard