Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default radio

what kinda of aftermarket stereo would you suggest for a decent price

Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Default RE: radio

I have always had good experiences with Pioneer decks. Just be aware that if you replace the factory radio, you will need to buy adapters to retain factory functions such as chime, On-Star, and steering wheel controls. You will also need an antenna adapter for certain aftermarket decks. You will also lose the luxury of adjusting the personalization features unless you wire the factory radio to the trunk of the car. Otherwise these features will have to programmed through the Tech 2, which is found only at GM dealerships. If you are lucky, someone you know has easy access to this. The other thing you could do if you don't want to keep the factory radio wired in, is program everything to your liking before removing the radio, and hope that your mind doesn't change =).

Old 10-07-2007, 10:31 PM

i forgot about that...what kinda of adapters would i need for the steering wheel control

Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 PM

What year is your car, and do you have On-Star ?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:04 AM

Stick with Pioneer unless you are like me and tend to buy a new headunit every year and a half! Pioneers have a very long lifespan and are really packed with all the latest features. Shop around too, the prices of a particular model very among retailers. There are a lot of good brands, however I don't recommend Sony headunits (recievers).

Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM

my monte is a 2001 and i have onstar but no desire whatsoever2 use it

Old 10-08-2007, 11:40 AM

HELLO kweef...WHAT TYPE OF FACTORY RADIO DO U HAVE? CD/CASSETTE? DO YOU HAVE THE SMALL FACTORY AMP IN THE TRUNK? IF THIS IS WNAT YOU HAVE,MAY I SUGGEST THIS...KEEP THE FACTORY HEAD UNIT AND THE FACTORY AMP...CHANGE YOUR SPEAKERS,USING INFINITY KAPPA'S FOR BOTH FRONT AND REAR. YOUR FACTORY SPEAKERS ARE OF A 2 OHM LOAD AND SO ARE THE KAPPA'S. USE THE 692.7i 6X9 IN THE REAR AND THE 60.7cs 6 1/2" COMPONENTS IN THE FRONT DOORS. THIS UPGRADE WILL GIVE YOU MUCH BETTER SOUND QUALITY THAN YOUR FACTORY STOCK SPEAKERS. YOU CAN THEN TAP OFF YOUR REAR SPEAKERS TO AN L.O.C AND THEN TO A MONO SUB AMP AND THEN TO A SUB. I AM USING A KICKER ZX750.1 MONO AMP (750 WATTS MONO INTO 2 OHMS) AND THAT DRIVES A DUEL KICKER 10" L5 BOX. OMG,THIS SYSTEM SOUNDS SO GOOD. I HAVE DONE THIS TO MY '05 LT AND DIDNT HAVE TO BUY ANY ADAPTORS FOR ANYTHING AND THE SOUND IS FANTASTIC!! HOIPE THIS HELPS YOU,MIKE

Old 10-08-2007, 02:18 PM

Well if you do decide to go aftermarket, go here for all of your adapter needs http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface.. this site will direct you to the steering wheel control adapters. I used the SWI-X, and it has been working great. It is programmed using the units infrared remote. I also got my other adapters through here. I would spend the extra money to buy the additional adapters as well.. you need the adapter that will retain the chime functions, and an adapter that will retain the RAP circuit. The only thing about the chime module adapter, is that the chime sounds different than the factory chime, because the factory chime is supplied through the factory head unit. Also, you may or may not need to bypass the factory amp. I did not bypass mine, and it sounds great.
This is what I am running:

Pioneer DEH-3800 receiver
PAC SWI-X steering wheel radio control interface
PAC OS-2 ON-STAR interface
PAC CM-1 Class 2 chime module (used w/ PAC OS-2)

Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM

yah i have the cd/cassette and i no longer have the factory amp...im runnin2 legacy 500watt amps with 2 ten inch volfenhag1000w subs (a lil odd i know but it sounds good)so im far from factory lol but every little bit helps me...did u put a sound system in after u changed the radio

Old 10-08-2007, 02:25 PM

nice that helps me alot...im still gonna have to get a bunch of help tho but i have a friend whos good with electronics so he can help me...dont feel like messin **** up i would b pissed

Quick Reply: radio