Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Radar Detector

Old 06-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Question Radar Detector

Who has one? How did you mount it? Do you have pictures of it? What brand and model do you have? Pros/cons?

I recently picked up a Cobra XRS 9440. Here are some links for info on it.
Amazon
Cobra Electronics

I've been reading reviews, and I know it's not a very good one, but I'm not going to spend $300+ for a Valentine or similar.

Well here's the thing. Id' like to be able to hard wire it. I've come across a few items that I've picked up and here they are...

Similar to this, but with an inline fuse:

Add-A-Circuit

But it came with the coiled plug, like this:

Which would make it difficult to run behind panels and the roof liner. Ugh!

I'd like to pick up one of these though: Hard wire kit

Should I just wait to get the hard wire kit and take back the secondary lighter outlet and add-a-circuit, or should I use what I have? I'd like to mount the radar above my mirror so it's hidden, but then I don't know how the 360 degree reception would be. If I mount it under the mirror, on the windshield, then it's in plain site for cops and thieves. I don't know guys, what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-PRO-3.../dp/B0001MZ88Q
here is the one I have and works great I got it so I did not just have it sitting in the window it mounts behind the lower grill on my car and if you go to my garage you can see where I mounted mine below my car stereo the other thing it has a volt meter on it ! cool so i can monitor my stereo system . If it was me I would hard wire it in and mount it below the mirror so it gets a good field of view for the Lazar and radar

Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a Passport 9500i w/red display and I love it!!!! I found this company called Blend Mount that makes a bracket for the rear view mirror for the radar detector to mount to. Actually, my mirror was the test mule cause they didn't have one big enough around to fit our mirrors. It's awesome!!!
http://www.blendmount.com/

Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 AM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

hey can you put a pic up with it in your car for everyone Amy ? here is mine

Attached Thumbnails Radar Detector-user7286_pic5477_1275964654.jpg  

Last edited by Blazed SS; 06-09-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Photobucket

Originally Posted by 2001 ss keith
http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-PRO-3.../dp/B0001MZ88Q
here is the one I have and works great I got it so I did not just have it sitting in the window it mounts behind the lower grill on my car and if you go to my garage you can see where I mounted mine below my car stereo the other thing it has a volt meter on it ! cool so i can monitor my stereo system . If it was me I would hard wire it in and mount it below the mirror so it gets a good field of view for the Lazar and radar
Oooh I like the remote detector idea. I have to look into this. Thanks!
Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I have a Passport 9500i w/red display and I love it!!!! I found this company called Blend Mount that makes a bracket for the rear view mirror for the radar detector to mount to. Actually, my mirror was the test mule cause they didn't have one big enough around to fit our mirrors. It's awesome!!!
http://www.blendmount.com/
I love that idea a lot, but they don't make it compatible for the Cobra units. Arg!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM

i know of someone with a grand prix who has two radar detecters mounted in the front of the car on each side and a radar jammer in the middle, same setup on the back of the car also. he has them hardwired and i guess it gets a good distance for him. probably put some $$ into it though

Old 06-09-2010, 11:16 AM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

I put a pic up for you I had the same concern about it sitting in the window our care draw enough attention as is that is why I have tried so hard to hide my stereo system radar back up cam and the deck i have is a detachable face JVC has the only Nave unit with a detachable face

Attached Thumbnails Radar Detector-user7286_pic5477_1275964654.jpg  
Old 06-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Photobucket

Originally Posted by 2001 ss keith
I put a pic up for you I had the same concern about it sitting in the window our care draw enough attention as is that is why I have tried so hard to hide my stereo system radar back up cam and the deck i have is a detachable face JVC has the only Nave unit with a detachable face
Very nice. The only issue I can see with one of these is that you won't get a 360 degree protection, just radar/laser ahead of you. Still doesn't sound like a bad option.

Any tips on my situation with the current RD I have? Thanks every one.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a Passport 8500 Blue. I love it, works great! I paid about $330 for it a few years ago, and had to have it rebuillt once about a year ago, which was $50.

I mount mine kind of in the middle of the windshield, favoring the drivers side a bit, about 3 inches up from the dash. I just use the suction cup bracket provided with the radar detector.

And I plug it into the cigarette lighter.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Any tips on my situation with the current RD I have? Thanks every one.
Check out the return policy?

If I were honestly to spend money to get one, I would want a good one that works way before the cop could actually get you (read: passport or valentine)

Usually you can find MaMonte's for around $200 on sale.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radar Detector