Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Please help me with my After Market HU

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Default Please help me with my After Market HU

Im am so frustrated. Cant get my HU to work. Here is exactly what I did.

1. Removed dash.
2. Removed factory stereo
3. Installed HU with wiring harness (no chime. too expensive)
4. turned car on.
5. stereo no power.
6. re installed factory hu
7. factory hu works fine and dandy
I think I have the wrong wiring harness. I have an 02 monte. There is one big harness and one two wire baby harness. I found a wiring harness to match the big one. thought the baby one was for the chime adapter so i left it alone. I guess I still have the wrong harness. Some one please help? If you installed a hu without the chime, how did you do it. Am i missing a step in installation? What wiring harness do you guys that chose to pass on the chime use? I was so excited about my new stereo and now i cant use it. I usually can do a stereo in an hour. I was working this for four hours. i gave up when my eyes couldnt take wotking in the dark with just my dome lamp anymore. I hope someone can give me an answr before i get off work tomorrow. thanks in advance for anything you might offer.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Default RE: Please help me with my After Market HU

Might be helpful if you post what harness you have, do you have onstar?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:31 AM

I do not have onstar. I bought a scosche harness from walmart for gm vehicles.The harness I bought fits the big section of the factory harness but the small two wire harness is left hanging, disconnected

Old 12-19-2008, 11:35 AM

figured it out. guy at the store had told me that the amp wire was sirius radio wire. now that i connected it all systems go. But, my after market speakers sound the same as my factory ones did. I dont get it.. my speakers are 250 watts max. they should be beter. i guess. right?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:40 PM

ORIGINAL: montebrian
But, my after market speakers sound the same as my factory ones did. I dont get it.. my speakers are 250 watts max. they should be beter. i guess. right?
Hey `Brian,
Be Patience, and I am sure one of our many expert memebers
on sound system will assist, once they read your post.
Below are a few links you may want to check `out
while waiting for some help.
Good Luck & Good Sounds
`Space
[:-]
Life with a Factory Stereo
You buy a car, you drive it for a couple of months, and you decide that the sound system just isn't cutting it. In the old days, you'd buy a new stereo and ...
www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learn/learning... - 39k - Similar pages
http://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbt..._upgrades.html
How to Upgrade Your Car's Sound System - wikiHow
wikiHow article about How to Upgrade Your Car's Sound System. ... Upgrade your system in these steps. This way you can stop at anytime if you feel the ...
www.wikihow.com/Upgrade-Your-Car's-Sound-System - 39k - Similar pages
http://www.wikihow.com/Upgrade-Your-Car's-Sound-System
Car Stereo Installation/Upgrade Primer
Many people are on a budget but still want to upgrade their sound system. .... The best type of crimper for car audio work is one that is built like the ...
www.bcae1.com/installationprimer.htm - 69k - Similar pages
http://www.bcae1.com/installationprimer.htm
Why Upgrade Your Car Speaker System?
Mar 26, 2006 ... Often an upgrade to the car speaker system provides the car owner ... more about anything related to car audio, visit Car Sound Systems. ...
ezinearticles.com/?Why-Upgrade-Your-Car-Speaker-... - 44k - Similar pages

Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Are you running an amp or just HU power?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 PM

all i have is my hu and the stock factory amp in the trunk. is there any way to tweak that amp by the way?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: montebrian

figured it out. guy at the store had told me that the amp wire was sirius radio wire. now that i connected it all systems go. But, my after market speakers sound the same as my factory ones did. I dont get it.. my speakers are 250 watts max. they should be beter. i guess. right?
Well first, disregard any and all "max" ratings on any and all stereo equipment, it's about the most worthless of things when it comes to this subject. They should sound way better than your factory speakers/hu setup. I know I heard a big difference just when I installed aftermarket speakers running off my stock hu, although the differences were both good and bad.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:10 AM

okay so then i gotta question, i have a jenson flip up touchscreen HU, sony amp and 2 sony 12 in subs...everything has power. all fuses are good. so what in the hell am i doing wrong????

Old 12-25-2008, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: chelseegtp97

okay so then i gotta question, i have a jenson flip up touchscreen HU, sony amp and 2 sony 12 in subs...everything has power. all fuses are good. so what in the hell am i doing wrong????
well what exactly is the problem?

Quick Reply: Please help me with my After Market HU