Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Pic of my JL Audio Sub...rare enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Default Pic of my JL Audio Sub...rare enclosure

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/IMAG0040.jpg

Again, sorry for the crappy camera phone quality. This little beast is an 8'', thats right...8'' JL Audio W3v3 in a high output enclosure made by JL themselves. This thing sounds like two 10''s. I constantly have to prove to people that this is only one 8'' sub. As you can somewhat see, this thing takes up no room at all and puts out amazingly quality sound. Meanwhile, other guys have their trunk filled to the brim with soem huge box with 12s or 15s and their's doesnt sound nearly as good or clear as mine. I paid about $230 for it brand new. My trunk doesnt rattle at all, lights dont dim. Sounds like a damn recording studio. I also have JL C2 evolution speakers to cover the highs and mids, all powered by a JL Slash 500/5 amp. To think i used to think JL was overrated..HA!, silly me....

Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 AM

W3's are pretty nice subs but they definitely aren't the holy grail of subs. What does "it sounds like 2 10's" even mean? I know a guy who has 2 10's hittin' low 150's, I guarantee you your little 8 gets nowhere near that! Rest assured that the guys who have their trunk "filled to the brim" with 12's or 15's aren't concerned with sound quality, they're trying to knock pictures off walls! LOL @ recording studio! I'm sure your non-time aligned, off-axis and unbalanced amplified speakers in the rear deck that bounce the sound waves off the window sounds just like a recording stuido. LMAO...puttin' alot on it man, for real.

If you want a good sounding system, ditch the speakers in the rear deck, go active, and dial it all in until the bass sounds like it's coming from up front and you can close your eyes and it sounds like the band is playing on top of your hood, allowing you to pinpoint where particular instruments are being played at out there in front of you.

When you get to that point then come talk to me about how good your system sounds. I'm not saying systems with rear fill all suck but it takes alot of time, tuning and experimentation to successfully blend in rear fill and have it stage and image properly. A task which i'm certain you can't even begin to comprehend just how difficult it really is and certainly haven't attempted.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:23 AM

thanks for the avice but i'd much rather be able to hear lyrics as opposed to knocking pictures off walls..

Old 05-07-2010, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by GreenEyedMonte
thanks for the avice but i'd much rather be able to hear lyrics as opposed to knocking pictures off walls..
That makes two of us! And that's why all the advice I have you was SQ related I didn't give you any advice on how to get louder, it was on how to sound good. But it's clear you ain't trying to hear it, and that's cool but don't try to convince a real SQ guy like myself that your system "sounds like a recording studio" when I guarantee you it not only suffers from refraction, resonance, cancellation, and poor efficiency but also isn't even close to being tuned flat.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:07 AM

Ok let me rephrase for the sake of those who have a degree in sound theory...my system doesn't sound like a recording studio, however it does sound really really good. Crisp highs and smooth mids and lows.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:22 AM

Yes, what's matter's most is that it sounds SuperSuper 2 U
It's your mobile sound studio &
it's a super clean install 4-Sure, and there's
plenty of room in the trunk for party supplies

Peace/Happy `out
EnJoy

Old 05-07-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
That makes two of us! And that's why all the advice I have you was SQ related I didn't give you any advice on how to get louder, it was on how to sound good. But it's clear you ain't trying to hear it, and that's cool but don't try to convince a real SQ guy like myself that your system "sounds like a recording studio" when I guarantee you it not only suffers from refraction, resonance, cancellation, and poor efficiency but also isn't even close to being tuned flat.

Hi `Rich,
You are the Ultimate ~> Perfectionist 4-Sure
I thought U would enjoy the below
rolling sound mobile studio lol

Don't drive 2 close or it will blow `out
your Window's
I can't hear you!
lol

Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by KidSpace

Hi `Rich,
You are the Ultimate ~> Perfectionist 4-Sure
I thought U would enjoy the below
rolling sound mobile studio lol

Don't drive 2 close or it will blow `out
your Window's
I can't hear you!
lol
LOL. I don't take back anything I said but I do realize I could have been a little less abrasive with it. After reading how rare his head unit and sub/sub box were and listening to his exaggerated description of his speakers I just couldn't hold it in any longer

Old 05-08-2010, 07:05 AM

:-) exaggeration is entertaining.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 AM

Good for you, Greeneye! As long as you're happy with the way your system sounds it's all is good.

Quick Reply: Pic of my JL Audio Sub...rare enclosure