Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

ONSTAR...Worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question ONSTAR...Worth it ?

Does anyone suscribe to ONSTAR with their vehicles ?
I'm considering it for added security ? How secure is it ?
And is it worth it ?
Thanks.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ask your insurance company if you have on-star, if it will be a discount. Most of the times On-Star will pay for itself with the savings on your car insurance, so that alone makes it worth it

Old 03-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I have it, and I'm happy with it. It's just some added insurance I think. I personally don't get a discount on my actual insurance, but I like to have it for a peace of mind kind of thing.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Default on star

Thanks fellas.... I think I'm going to give it a try. GM offers a 3 month trial
for "preowned" vehicles with On-Star.
One concern that I have is ...if, a would be car theif can disable the On-Star
system some how ?
But I'm going to give it a try.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I have had it since day one on my Monte...I only have the basic though (so no turn by turn navigation or any of that with the package I got).

But I DO get a discount for Onstar on my car insurance. Plus, I like the monthly diagnostic emails they send you. On top of that, it keeps records or oil life and monthly mileage, which is always good for resale value.

I like it, and think its worth the $18.95 per month.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I have had it since day one on my Monte...I only have the basic though (so no turn by turn navigation or any of that with the package I got).

But I DO get a discount for Onstar on my car insurance. Plus, I like the monthly diagnostic emails they send you. On top of that, it keeps records or oil life and monthly mileage, which is always good for resale value.

I like it, and think its worth the $18.95 per month.
Ditto, minus discount.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 PM

X100000000 on the On-star!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM

I used the 3 month trial on my GXP, and cancelled after that, IMO ~$20 a month is way too high for something I never use. Here are the features off their site:

Automatic Crash Response
In a crash, air bag sensors can automatically alert an OnStar Advisor who is immediately connected into your vehicle to see if you’re okay. Even if you're unable to respond, the Advisor can request emergency help be sent to your exact GPS location right away. On most newer models, built-in crash sensors can also automatically alert OnStar and send critical crash details, even if your airbags do not deploy.
This would be nice if I drove a lot out in the middle of nowhere. Now that I live in a bigger city, there are always plenty of other people on the road. Plus, what if you have a minor accident at a drag strip or something?

Emergency Services
With just one push of a button, connect immediately to an Advisor who can request emergency help to be sent to your exact location.
I have a cell phone if I have a non-accident related emergency. Only reason I could see this is if I was old and afraid of having a heart attack or something.

OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics
Get automatic vehicle checks on key operating systems in your vehicle sent via monthly email reports at no additional cost. You can also get On-Demand Diagnostics2 checks — just push your blue OnStar button.
Useless for me- if everything is working fine, and there is no service engine light- I don't need a report. I have an autotap scan tool that I occasionally plug in to check stuff anyways. Plus, I'm fully capable of checking my own tire pressure and doing my own oil changes.

Hands-Free Voice-Activated Calling
Take advantage of your built-in voice-activated calling feature by adding OnStar Hands-Free Calling minutes to any of the above OnStar subscription plans.
I have a cell phone, and even on speaker phone, it is easier to talk to people on the cell. I don't want another phone number and such, and I always carry my phone.

Turn-by-Turn Navigation
Our navigation system offers voice-guided driving directions to practically any destination at the push of a button. Try a route at no additional cost by pushing your blue button or upgrade your service level for unlimited Turn-by-Turn Navigation.
I have a portable garmin GPS that has an actual screen. If I really wanted navigation, I'd either upgrade to the GM navi unit or get an aftermarket one. For the ~$30 a month it costs to have this, you could buy a navigation unit in 2 or 3 years from the money you save and have free navigation all the time, with a big screen. Heck, even in 6 months you could buy a portable GPS.

Stolen Vehicle Assistance
If you report your vehicle stolen to law enforcement, OnStar can use real-time GPS technology to pinpoint the exact location of your vehicle and will work with authorities to help recover your vehicle quickly.
This would be kinda nice- but I don't know if I'd want the vehicle back at all if it gets stolen. I'd almost rather just have the insurance money to go get something else, rather than get my ragged-on-to-death car back.

Remote Door Unlock
If you are locked out of your vehicle, one simple toll-free call to OnStar will get you immediate help. OnStar can send a remote signal to your vehicle to quickly unlock your doors and get you back on your way with very little hassle.
I've honestly never done this, and its kinda hard to do if you always lock your car with your remote.

Roadside Assistance
If you need a tow, tire change or fuel, one push of your OnStar button immediately connects you to an Advisor who can help direct a service provider to your exact location.
I have a cell phone for that with a towing company in my local city on my contact list. I'll do my own tire changes instead of paying someone to do it. I could see if I travelled a lot- but I usually fly and get a rental where I go.

Crisis Assist
During severe weather, natural disasters or other crisis, OnStar provides you with a central point of contact to help navigate your way out of danger. A specially trained Crisis Advisor can help you reach your loved ones, obtain food, water, medical supplies, find the closest evacuation route, and address a wide range of other needs.
This seems kinda far fetched where I live- I can't really think of any natural disasters bad enough for me to not know where my loved ones or food/water would be.

Remote Horn And Lights
Having trouble remembering where you parked your vehicle? Call an OnStar Advisor who can remotely sound your horn and flash your lights to help you locate your vehicle quickly.
Seems like another good thing for old people- I may not be able to tell you the exact spot I parked in every time, but I can at least get close enough that my remote will honk the horn.

I don't know, maybe I'm odd, but I didn't use the thing once for the 3 months I had it. Seems like its basically like buying an extra insurance plan, and an extra $200-300 a year is a substantial increase in my insurance. Also, my insurance company does not offer a discount for it- and from the shopping around I've done, I'm getting about the lowest rate I can be for the coverage and services I want anways.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:58 PM

I thought about getting it but on my car, the system has to be upgraded to digital and that requires you to get the plan for a full year so for me to get it, it would cost me $215 and my insurance also does not give discounts for having it. I'm still undecided.

Wayne

Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM

I feel pretty much the same way bumpin does. If i was a travelling salesman or on the road a lot... maybe, but with my circumatances I can't justify it right now. However, hearing about discounts on insurance I will talk with my agent at some point and if a discount would basically pay for it then heck yea I'll look into it.

That being said my opinion is that as a "Thank you for buying GM" I think the accident response should be free of charge, after all how often will your new vehicle be involved in an accident bad enough to set off the air bags without totalling the car? As well I think the tracking of a stolen car should be the same way, again how often will it get stolen? Or how about a per use basis. Give them your cc # and to open the doors $20, directions $5, etc. OR let people sign up for short periods IE: when going on vacations. I would have been willing to pay $20 on my last vacation to have it just in case something happened.

Just some of my mindless ramblings.

Quick Reply: ONSTAR...Worth it ?