Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

One amp or two?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:14 PM
3 Year Member
Default One amp or two?

So, since i'm sticking with the stock head unit I'll probably get soemthing like this:

http://www.reqsound.com/

It supposedly reconfigures the signal or something so it can be hooked up to an amp (or two) and not suck.

So... since i'll be getting this and upgrading the speakers and probably adding a sub or two...how many amps do I need?

Should I get one amp for all, or two amps for the speakers and sub separately?

Which one(s) should I get? Looking for loud and clean, but mostly clean. I don't want my spoiler to rattle off anytime soon.

If you could choose amps and subs, what would you get?

I'm trying to keep the cost of the amps under $200 and I'm not sure about the subs, they can come later if need be. And I'll probably go used if possible, so I can get soemthing better.

What would you do?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM

It's really up to you. Are you wanting to run just the front speakers, or all four? Depending on what you do for the front speakers, you might be better off taking out the rears and leaving their holes empty since you'll have a sub or two. This could also save you money by not buying new rears, so you could buy better fronts. If you do this, a single 4-channel amp could work by running the fronts on two channels and bridging the other two for your sub(s).

Or you could buy a 5-channel amp and run all four speakers and a sub. You are kinda limited on options with this route though.

Running two amps is what most people do because it gives you the most flexibility to buy an appropriate amp for your speakers, and then buy one that matches your subs. Keep in mind the extra wiring needed to run two amps though, because it can get more expensive than you expect. I've got over $200 just in wiring for two amps and if you're not a bargin hunter, it could get even higher.

Go register at a couple car audio forums and check out their classifieds sections for good used equipment as another alternative to eBay. If you can find one amp that fits what you're looking for, then there's no reason not to go that way. It'll make your install easier and a lot of times looks cleaner as well.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:01 PM

GL with finding everything you need in your price range.

try looking at stuff from sonicelectronix.com , woofersect.com , used stuff on ebay,or craigslist{buyer beware}.

if your going for an SQ setup i would recomend getting a head unit. make sure it has sub rca outputs at least.

i am running off my stock headunit and it sounds clean, but ive heard crisper vocals, with a head unit.

and that thing your getting, the line output converter thing, they work but not nearly as good an aftermarket HU. idk how much it costs but i would put that money towards a cleaner signal in the first place. the only reason i kept mine was because it has a 6 disc, and im old school and not into mp3's and all that.

in your pricerange i would look at brands like fusion, american bass, soundstream, or pioneer for class d amps. i wouldnt even bother amping your speakers unless you like your ears to hurt. im running 75 watts to 4 speakers and trust me i cant handle it turned up past 3/4. and you can always do it later if you like.

if your going to get speakers 6.5's in the front, 6x9's in the back. go for the fronts for yourself first, get the 6x9's to impress your friends later.

just remember you get what you pay for and dont push anything to its limits and it should last for a while.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I SAY 2 AND MAK330 IS SO RIGHT sonicelectronix.com IS A GREAT PLACE TO BUY FROM MAN

Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 PM

actually right now is the best time to get a system. go to all your local audio shops and ask them for there dicontinued or display models. they should be getting there new shipments in and wanting the old stuff out of there shops. its worth a try. and plus, if its a respectable place they will go over all the extras you will need and stuff that you might want, like a crossover, great for SQ. they should give you an estimate, you can take that as a reference for all the stuff you want.

Dont rush anything and look everywhere for deals. get the facts b4 you buy crap brands that will blow 6 months later.

and the car audio forums are a great place to meet bass heads.

when you have more specific questions, just let us know.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM

i personally run 1 amp, its a 4x75 and 1100 to the subs. it was also way to much money, but it runs very cool and looks really clean. personally idk how old you are but bass gets old after a while so i wouldnt bother going overboard. my friend is running 5500 rms watts to 4 fusion 12,s in a s10. you can imagine. he makes most cars in a 50 ft radias feel like they have a banging system. hes also nuts.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:19 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

SO TRUE LOOK AT THE RMS OF THE AMP AND SPEAKERS (REAL SOUND MEASURED )
AND TRY TO STAY WITH A CLASS D AMP THE ARE HEAVILY TESTED AND YOU GETTING THE REAL POWER NOT A FAKE # THAT IS WHAT THE AMP OR SPEAKER COULD DO FOR 1 /10 OF A SECOND BEFORE IT MELTED
EXAMPLE THEY CAN SAY IT IS A 1000W X 2 AMP BUT THE RMS IS 350W x 2

Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
3 Year Member

Thanks guys for all of the advice. I'll take it all into consideration.

I take it that the stock head unit isn't a very popular idea.

What kind of dual din head unit would you recommend? Do after market units work with stearing wheel controls?

Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

I like pioneer and jvc for the head unit and yes you can get a adapter for about all the big brands to still use the steering wheel controls
sonic electronix will be a good place to start looking

Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 PM

nothing against stock, its a just a lot easier to use AM.

cleaner signal, eq, less wires, more options.

i personally like my stock unit because when ppl stare as they do. they dont think i have anything to steal. but if you go bumpin down your street, it doesnt really matter.

Quick Reply: One amp or two?