Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Okay, this has got to stop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Okay, this has got to stop!

So I posted awhile back about my battery dying and I blamed it on my underglow as something was going on with it. Well the underglow decided to spaz out over spring break and the people at StreetGlow are telling me it's a controller malfunction, well after my battery drained itself a few days after I got back I decided to pull the fuse for the underglow so that it would now longer be able to drain power, right? Without the fuse it can't still be pulling?

Well I just drove my car yesterday for about an hour or so, I parked and shut it off. Just as I stepped out I saw someone pulling out of a much better spot so I got back in started just fine and moved to the better spot. Now today I go out and the battery doesn't have enough power to even try turning the engine over. So I checked everything, map lights, dome light, driving lights, fog lights, amp/subs, doors (made sure they were closed), accessory plugs, nothing had been on, I even pulled down the back seats to look directly at the amp to make sure power wasn't somehow passing the switch, it wasn't, it was still off.

Now is there something I might be missing here that could have been on? Only aftermarket items that are electrical are the underglow and amp/subs, neither should have been pulling any power.

When I posted on the StreetGlow forums about the LEDs possibly draining my battery one member, an admin actually, said this...
I still don't see how the controller would drain the battery. Even if you left the tubes on..it would take hella long for led's to drain the battery....the reason his battery is dead is easy...he has a GM...so he probably has a Delco..or crapco as we call them. Delco batteries are the worst thing ever made...as a GM mechanic I can tell you that we must of replaced 20+ batteries a WEEK!!! Hell New cars would come off the hauler with flat dead delco's...they are crap.

I hasn't even been 24 hours since I last drove it and yet the battery is letting me down, I don't think it's the alternator because it started right up yesterday when I went to change parking spots. When Checkers tested a month or so ago the guy told me they were both good. I have no idea as to what to do as the next step other than have my buddy jump me whenever I need to go somewhere. ARGH! I just want to be able to go out and drive my car! Wish I had my quad down here to go take some frustration out.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Default RE: Okay, this has got to stop!

Hi `Garrett,
There's nothing worst then having a late model car that
won't start. If you have checked all your electronic add's,
and you haven't found a problem, then
I would have your battery/alternator checked `out.
Is you LT3 out of warranty ?
I wish that the 06/07 Monte's would have included
the amp/oil gauges, like the previous generation Monte's.
Below is the only complaint that I found on a AC Delco
battery. Wish you good luck on resolving your problem.
`Space
Mar 18, 2008 ... RE: 7 months old acdelco Battery problem - 3/16/2008 1:16:43 PM ... affiliated with or endorsed by Chevrolet Motors Division or General Motors.
chevroletforum.com/m_61797/tm.htm - 49k - Similar pages

Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 PM

have your starter checked out

Old 04-07-2008, 04:18 PM

I had the same issue with battery dying, exact same thing as you. Although i have an amplifier hooked up to mine, it would not turn off when car turned off. Anyways make a long story short, if you have the stock AC delco battery. Their cheap i went through a battery about a yr into my car. It was last fall actually when the battery died. I have currently upgraded the battery to a Optima Yellow top which has worked flawlessly. If you have the stock battery and it goes dead chances are it'll ruin.The amp in your car, Is it hooked to the stereo remote? I've found these cars still give off power when turned off especially amplifiers and aftermarket stereo's. When you turn your car off look at your amp and see if power is still running to it. If so you may have to find a different remote turn on. Also a note, those stock AC delco batteries when they have died or needing acharging, they will never recharge to their full potential which means battery will need replacing, you will always run into this issue until battery gets replaced. I have been through the same thing as you once i upgraded from the cheap delco battery, I have never run into acharging or battery holding a charge issue again.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I actually have a toggle switch for the amp so that my mom doesn't complain when she rides with me. I have looked and even with the car running they amp stay off unless I flip the switch.

I'll see about getting my starter checked, but only if they can do it while still in the car, I don't have any tools here at college, or even a garage. I'll probably end up replacing the battery, the car was made in Jan of '06 and it's the same one but the car is out of warranty so I'll look into a better battery.

Anyone have suggestions for a better battery? I know that even rolling the windows down will cause the lights to dim so that's part of the reason I think it's the battery.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 PM

garrett im havin the same issue with my optx leds without the battery problem so i doubt its them, i actually posted in your thread over there

Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 PM

Yeah dude it's your battery, can't hold a charge. I have an 06 LT 3.5. And came accross the same issue's with the battery not holding a charge after it had died. I recharged it with a good battery charger, the car would fire up and run fine until i turned off the car. If yo ucan afford it i would recommend a Yellow top battery, they can take the abuse from almost anything you throw at it. Have you ever attempted the BIG three upgrade? Almost all car stereo guys swear by this, also check you alt to battery cable, i think it's like 8 gauge wiring, thats causing huge bottleneck for youalt to providejuice to your battery. Google "the big three upgrade" you'll find what causes power fluctuations in your car, and by adding lower gauge wire to the three main components may go along way.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM

I don't think its your LED's....I have an LED light bar with 384 LED's that draws 1/2 amp, and a 6" LED dashlight that has 240 LED's and it only draws 1/8 of an amp at any given time. I still have my stock AC Delco Battery in my '99..lucky I guess...I would check alternator and like the person said above, check the starter. Do you have the GM installed remote starter? If so, check the lead wires and make sure they aren't damaged/broken/loose. Good Luck!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Just make sure you don`t have a corrosion issue going on in there Garrett. Does`nt take much to stop the flow of the electrons....ACDelco battery issue is new to me.....

Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 PM

when mie did this i found out i had a dead cell in the bat.

Also the last time it did it i found out that the key switch was not working correctly it would shut off etc... but it was still turned just enough to allow the power to stay on for the int. lights and the trunk lights. but this was while it iwas in the body shop this last time and they had to replace the ING. switch etc.. due to the damge done to it.

Quick Reply: Okay, this has got to stop!