Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

New System

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:28 PM

Jaws, did you do this install/rewire or is somebody doing it for you? Reason I ask is because I spotted something that makes absolutely no sense.

First thing that threw up a red flag was the yellow crimp connectors, I was like "what does he need those for?" Then I noticed you didn't show pics of the speaker wire termination at the speakers. But then I seen the picture posted here and realized why. Check the picture below, see the wires sitting on top of the amp rack? The tiny wires that are coming from the left side look like the 28ga. wires that are coming off the 6x9's and the wires coming from the right look like the new Fosgate 12ga. There's a bug bulge in between the two guages of wire and it's covered in electrical tape which i'm sure is a yellow crimp connector. Why in the world would you (or whoever is doing this for you) spend the time to run new speaker wire only to simply splice it into the super tiny factory wiring?

I'm pretty sure there's more than enough slack in those runs of 12ga. to be able to connect it to the speakers directly like it should be done. You can either solder and heat shrink the connections directly or buy some quick disconnects and do it that way. Otherwise it's a complete and total waste of time and money to spring for 12ga. wire for your mids/highs (which in an of itself is overkill) only to choke it off by splicing it into 28ga. You accomplish nothing by doing that except for making the connections at your amp look nice and purdy.

You have spent too much money, too much time, and have too nice of equipment to go half *** on the install/rewire.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
Jaws, did you do this install/rewire or is somebody doing it for you? Reason I ask is because I spotted something that makes absolutely no sense.

First thing that threw up a red flag was the yellow crimp connectors, I was like "what does he need those for?" Then I noticed you didn't show pics of the speaker wire termination at the speakers. But then I seen the picture posted here and realized why. Check the picture below, see the wires sitting on top of the amp rack? The tiny wires that are coming from the left side look like the 28ga. wires that are coming off the 6x9's and the wires coming from the right look like the new Fosgate 12ga. There's a bug bulge in between the two guages of wire and it's covered in electrical tape which i'm sure is a yellow crimp connector. Why in the world would you (or whoever is doing this for you) spend the time to run new speaker wire only to simply splice it into the super tiny factory wiring?

I'm pretty sure there's more than enough slack in those runs of 12ga. to be able to connect it to the speakers directly like it should be done. You can either solder and heat shrink the connections directly or buy some quick disconnects and do it that way. Otherwise it's a complete and total waste of time and money to spring for 12ga. wire for your mids/highs (which in an of itself is overkill) only to choke it off by splicing it into 28ga. You accomplish nothing by doing that except for making the connections at your amp look nice and purdy.

You have spent too much money, too much time, and have too nice of equipment to go half *** on the install/rewire.
Yes you are correct and it does have crimpers wrapped in electrical tape. The rear 6x9 came with wires that made it easy to attach speaker wire to.

The Fronts I ran the 12 awg right to the speaker. But I guess I got lazy on the rears. I would have had to take out that amp rack (not that is hard) to get to the bottom of the speaker...So i didn't have to remove the rear deck. But I know that when we finnish up the amp rack it has to come out so I will just connect the 12 awg wire to the speaker directly than. And secondly I do plan on upgrading my 4 Speakers once again Probably to All 6.5" component.. Either Alpine Type X pro or RE Audio xxx.

But Very good catch.. Ive looked at this pic many of times my self and never saw that wire siting there. But Like I said before, the system is still in "rough" mode. Things still need to be adjusted. The basis is there but still needs some modification.

"What looks good on paper changes once its put together for real" lol

Old 09-25-2010, 05:00 PM

lol i got lazy on my rears too, but i did run wire, i didnt "run" it though it just drops down to the amp haha.

and thats great that you have, and no not evrybody knows and they definatly shoudln't. don't bump yo system in town, and tinted windows don't say i have stuff, but JBL RE audio JL audio emlbums on the side of your car def will get a second look. it's just advice. thousands of people get by, but dont forget nobody knows there ****s at risk, if they did, they'd never of lost it in the first place

the 4200 and the 3200 are just the new series from pioneer DEH touchscreen line. it looked like it was one of those.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:07 PM

f.y.i you shouldn't put stickers on your car, it just tells anybody breaking in what they can get. lol

Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM

GOT SPL

Originally Posted by eviling

the 4200 and the 3200 are just the new series from pioneer DEH touchscreen line. it looked like it was one of those.
Oh sorry haha.. I have a Kenwood DDX514

Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Yes you are correct and it does have crimpers wrapped in electrical tape. The rear 6x9 came with wires that made it easy to attach speaker wire to.

The Fronts I ran the 12 awg right to the speaker. But I guess I got lazy on the rears. I would have had to take out that amp rack (not that is hard) to get to the bottom of the speaker...So i didn't have to remove the rear deck. But I know that when we finnish up the amp rack it has to come out so I will just connect the 12 awg wire to the speaker directly than. And secondly I do plan on upgrading my 4 Speakers once again Probably to All 6.5" component.. Either Alpine Type X pro or RE Audio xxx.

But Very good catch.. Ive looked at this pic many of times my self and never saw that wire siting there. But Like I said before, the system is still in "rough" mode. Things still need to be adjusted. The basis is there but still needs some modification.

"What looks good on paper changes once its put together for real" lol
I understand, it's real easy to start taking shortcuts after you've been out there for a while....at some point you just want to get the ish done! But good to hear that you're gonna fix it. I have an eye for the most minute details

LOL @ guys still giving him a hard time about his stickers. He addressed that already, let it go guys

Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM

GOT SPL

Finally Posted the most up to date video of the new system so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqYjKWaD8OY

Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 PM

GOT SPL

Posted a new video update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjs4r9xJz0g

It has a bit of everything.. enjoy

Old 10-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Wow, hitting pretty hard! Any plans on competing with it?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 PM

GOT SPL

Originally Posted by DBS MC
Wow, hitting pretty hard! Any plans on competing with it?
Yes I will eventually when its all completed I still have lots to install including new batteries and second sub amp.

Quick Reply: New System