Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

New speakers = Door panel rattle / buzz / vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 PM

Ive tried twice now to install foam pieces on the highest elevation of the speaker mount. "Where it protrudes closest to the plastic door panel. Im still getting the buzz. I cant where its comes from. I realize that my biggest problem is not knowing exactly where the source of the vibration is located. If only I knew where that was it would be much easier to correct the problem. Once again nothing is being over driven..

Old 04-11-2013, 01:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

your plastic door push pins are probably worn out, replace them and press the panel back on.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM

It's not just putting foam around your speakers. The door card has a certain resonant frequency which I'm assuming is what is making your door rattle and buzz. Fixing the plastic clips is one thing, but trust me, it's probably not going to take care of all your problems. Our doors are craptastic and have multiple locations that buzz.

Find and secure all of the loose wires in the door card for one, including the plastic buttons attached to them and the area around them where they attach to the door card. They are notorious for buzzing. Wrap them in closed cell foam or peel and stick Ensolite. I highly suggest applying a few squares of quality deadener (AlphaDamp or Raammat is good) to lower the resonant freq of the door card and the door itself.

Also check to make sure you don't have any loose debris at the bottom of the door that may cause it to rattle.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by milrlyt
It's not just putting foam around your speakers. The door card has a certain resonant frequency which I'm assuming is what is making your door rattle and buzz. Fixing the plastic clips is one thing, but trust me, it's probably not going to take care of all your problems. Our doors are craptastic and have multiple locations that buzz.

Find and secure all of the loose wires in the door card for one, including the plastic buttons attached to them and the area around them where they attach to the door card. They are notorious for buzzing. Wrap them in closed cell foam or peel and stick Ensolite. I highly suggest applying a few squares of quality deadener (AlphaDamp or Raammat is good) to lower the resonant freq of the door card and the door itself.

Also check to make sure you don't have any loose debris at the bottom of the door that may cause it to rattle.
He only put speakers in, he doesn't even have a small sub, it shouldn't make a noise.

I would get new push pins for the door panel and your problem will probably be eliminated.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM

The amount of speakers doesn't matter. It's the frequencies that the driver is playing. The door will not rattle and buzz if you only have a tweeter in there.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member

The amount of speakers doesn't matter. It's the frequencies that the driver is playing. The door will not rattle and buzz if you only have a tweeter in there.
It generally will not if it's just a standard set of 5 3/4's either, unless he has a ridiculous front stage without anything in the rear to compliment it

Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Last I checked 6th gens came stock with 6.5" mids...

Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
I would get new push pins for the door panel and your problem will probably be eliminated.
+1 to this. That's the term I was looking for. I know when I took the door panel off to redo the front speakers, the push pins got a bit messed up and caused the rattling.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:19 AM

your plastic door push pins are probably worn out, replace them and press the panel back on.
You're probably right about them being worn. Any idea on where to get these push pins?

This.

As much as I would love to believe that the push pins are going to solve everything I don't see it happening. I've taken a very thorough look at the panel and "craptastic" is the best way to describe it. It could be ANY part of the plastic/fiberglass seams that could be rattling. All of the ideas you have given me seem to be the only possible route on fixing the rattle. Have you done this yourself? Or did you never experience the rattle?

He only put speakers in, he doesn't even have a small sub, it shouldn't make a noise.

Last I checked 6th gens came stock with 6.5" mids...
My front stage has amped up 6.5 alpine type-r components. They are mounted firmly so let's try not to bring that back into the equation. I've got 2 12's in the trunk but I know its not the subwoofer causing the rattle. The bass from the mids on certain frequencies cause the rattle. It's not constant. But when a certain note hits a certain frequency it will rattle. Replacing my push pins seems like it will snug the door panel up but I wont put all money on it fixing the issue. It will be the first thing I try before door the sound dampening based on my financial situation.

I appreciate the input guys, you've been very helpful. I will let you know how everything plays out.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Just for grins & giggles...

Check the leads that go from the cone to the terminals. A friend of mine had a rattle coming from his speaker at certain frequencies and it ended up being the cone vibrating against one of those leads. He moved the lead and the rattle went away. It's a long shot but might be worth looking at.

Quick Reply: New speakers = Door panel rattle / buzz / vibrating