Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

New JL Audio system is IN!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Default RE: New JL Audio system is IN!

that is the goal of mine also is the clearity.

i have the base if i want it but i really dont want it to be the soul sound i hear.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

Pretty sweet decks, the Pioneer P880. As far as I know, the factory tweeter is still hooked up, plus the new A pillar tweeter, I guess I don't really know that one. I know that I don't notice the tweeters SOUNDING too high. The system is as perfect as I could imagine, IMO. Crisp and clear, through all the range. Never had one THIS clear.
Yes, Pioneer outdid themselves with this P880. Sounds to me like you just gave the installer the car and let them do their thing, i'm too controlling to do that cause I have my ideas how I want things done so unless they could say why it shouldn't be done that way then I'll accept nothing less. At the end of the day, as long as the system puts a smile on your face it's all good.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS
Sounds to me like you just gave the installer the car and let them do their thing, i'm too controlling to do that cause I have my ideas how I want things done so unless they could say why it shouldn't be done that way then I'll accept nothing less. At the end of the day, as long as the system puts a smile on your face it's all good.
Not totally. They made suggestions, along with Schmicr. I knew I wanted a lit amp rack and a lit box. There was LOTS of discussion as to what to do. They had a box there that I liked, but I REALLY wanted a lit box with blue LED's, and they were MORE than willing (for a fee, of course) to make it happen. The Intimidator badge was there idea, and I just happened to have one.
Schmicr suggested I mount the amps on frosted plexiglas, with blue LED's behind. I liked that idea, but Dashworks said it took up too much room, and convinced me to go with the top lit amp rack instead. The old system had just one amp mounted on the back of the right rear seat, and the width of the amps combined would've required cutting the sheet metal behind the seats for clearance. They convinced me to go with the amp rack, along with Schmicr.
Also, they didn't want to notch the box to go around my rear strut brace. They did it anyway.
The whole project was a collaboration of about 5 of us all together. Dashworks has been doing stereo work for us now for about 4 years.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 PM

I wish I could hear your car, it's gotta be nice

Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 AM

very nice RocknSS!!! i am buying my amps today. so hopefully i can start on it this weekend. i really like your set up! mine will be a little different yet. kinda like the picture i sent. but i am really surprised you used some of my ideas. it looks amazing. what screws were used to mount the sub onto the plexi glass?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM

i have bought my amps now and i am wondering if your entire box is made out of plexiglas? and if so how did they piece the plexi glass together? i was thinking of making a skeleton frame out of angle iron and then mounting the plexiglass on to it. but now that you have yours down i was wondering how they mounted the plexiglas and onto what?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:21 PM

The box is made of 3/4" particle board, standard construction, with a plexi faceplate. Not sure of the screws. I'll check into the construction more. I let them do their thing with it. I'll pop off the faceplate and take a few pics. How's that? give me a day or two. One of the things I like that they did is move the Onstar module to the back of the amp rack. The took the module off the black stamped metal bracket. The cable goes all the way to the dash, so wiring isn't an issue

Old 05-28-2008, 07:53 AM

take as much time as you need. i am just curious how they did it. my car is a 2000 so i don't have to worry about the OnStar module. a couple of pictures though would be more then enough. i really like how they did the amp rack. and i understand what they were saying when my design would take up to much room. but i only have one 12" kicker L7. so i should be able to do my idea. but in case it doesn't work i made a back up plan. my only concern with that would be the amps getting to hot cause not enough air is moving across them.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:22 PM

your box is partical bord?

to keep your amps kool in the rack if you have a enclosed rack is not a hard thing to get around.
Go to your local computer supply store or even on line and get your self a coupel of Lap top fans.
Tehy are 12v. and also small so you can mount them pretty much any where.
put one on eone side that pushes the air in and one on the other side that pulls the air out this would give you a constant air flow acrossed the amps and no kooling issues for the amps or in the rack it's self.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 PM

Here are a couple of pics. I'm not seeing an amp rack. What I see is 2 amps mounted to the back of the box. That's NOT what I wanted! I specifically requested an amp rack so the box could be removed for travelling purposes (luggage). I'll have to check into that more. Maybe that's what they meant by not enough room. I'll call them tomarrow. Got a couple of ???? for them.

Quick Reply: New JL Audio system is IN!