Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Need your opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Default Need your opinion...

I just bought a 2001 SS and im lookin to replace the stock head unit. Now, I have a woofer already installed using a LOC. I was wondering if their are any advantages to replacing the head unit to an aftermarket? I have a nice Kenwood 50W deck from my old car i bought a year ago. Also I am looking to replace the 6x9's with 90W Kenwoods. Will these sound better? Will the stock amp sound well with these? Please give me all your opinion. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:39 PM

If you have a premium Bose sound system already in then it is a good quality system and might be competitive to the Kenwood, depending on your personal taste of sound and options...
But if you just have a regular GM deck then an aftermarket would probably sound better.
If you are switching to an aftermarket then you have to get the factory interface harness, and that can cost more then the deck in some cases, depending on where you buy and what options you have.
I am waiting for my interface harness so I can install my Alpine head unit. I ordered it on ebay for $35, don't get suckered into paying $150 at the Future shop!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 PM

try sonicelectronix.com thats where i buy all my stuff. very good prices and they ship fast

Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 PM

If you install those aftermarket 6x9s and don't use an aftermarket amp, expect them to be not as loud and give you less bass than the factory speakers because they will be less efficient.

Going to an aftermarket headunit probably won't make your system sound much better by itself. It might, however, give you more features and adjusment capabilities so you could taylor the sound more to your liking. If you're planning on future upgrades down the road though, a new head unit is a great place to start.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
If you install those aftermarket 6x9s and don't use an aftermarket amp, expect them to be not as loud and give you less bass than the factory speakers because they will be less efficient.
X2 agreed dont put new speakers without putting in a a new amp

disagree tho about upgrading giving you better quality. upgrading the hu will give you much better sound quality and customization. good luck using an mp3 player with the stock deck while maintaining sound quality.

Allso if you have a woofer correctly running rcas from your hu to the amp will improve the subs quality.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Ok, I think I a just going to replace the head unit. Can i still hook up the stock amp to my aftermarket hu? I'm new at this haha. any input and help would be great. Thank you all so far

Old 02-12-2010, 06:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by no1yankeefan92
Ok, I think I a just going to replace the head unit. Can i still hook up the stock amp to my aftermarket hu? I'm new at this haha. any input and help would be great. Thank you all so far
Yes you can...but if your going to run aftermarket speakers an aftermarket amp is greatly recommended so you get the full sound of the speakers! The speakers sound quiet or dull without an aftermarket amp

Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 AM

get a double din just upgraded from a flip out in dash the quality and difference is breathtaking