Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Interior Speakers (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/interior-speakers-36245/)

16With01MonteSS 05-07-2012 11:24 PM

Interior Speakers

I was offered Brand new in the box 6x9's but they are from walmart... I took them for no reason and i was wondering what is better these or the factory speakers..
And Also what size speakers go in the Front doors.?
Xpress 6 X 9 Car Speakers, Triaxial - Walmart.com

lougreen03 05-08-2012 12:17 AM

Ive read a lot of threads on here about car stereos and it seems that most people say that the stock amp dont sound good with aftermarket speakers. You could hook them up and try them out tho.

Milhouse 05-10-2012 11:59 AM

All things considered, our stock systems arent too bad. What throws things off is the fact on the premium systems they used 2ohm speakers. Since most aftermarket speakers are 4ohms thats where the "problem" comes in. Upgrading the speakers only will result in an upgrade based on the sound but you wont get the same volume due to the increased resistance. Not only that, but you'll still have to deal with the integrated bass inhibit once the volume goes above a certain level. I highly suggest replacing the head unit when you replace the speakers, or an aftermarket amp and bypass the factory one.

Bait 05-17-2012 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Milhouse (Post 456714)
All things considered, our stock systems arent too bad. What throws things off is the fact on the premium systems they used 2ohm speakers. Since most aftermarket speakers are 4ohms thats where the "problem" comes in. Upgrading the speakers only will result in an upgrade based on the sound but you wont get the same volume due to the increased resistance. Not only that, but you'll still have to deal with the integrated bass inhibit once the volume goes above a certain level. I highly suggest replacing the head unit when you replace the speakers, or an aftermarket amp and bypass the factory one.

To bypass factory amp on a 00-01, installing aftermarket and running new wires to speakers, can i just unplug it or do I need the bypass for it. I will also maintain the factory headunit , for now.

Chevy BYPASS AMP Radio Wire Harness Stereo CVY-2021 | eBay

Thanks.

Milhouse 05-17-2012 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bait (Post 459247)
To bypass factory amp on a 00-01, installing aftermarket and running new wires to speakers, can i just unplug it or do I need the bypass for it. I will also maintain the factory headunit , for now.

Chevy BYPASS AMP Radio Wire Harness Stereo CVY-2021 | eBay

Thanks.

If you're keeping the stock head unit, get the bypass plug

red04montels 05-18-2012 12:56 AM

If you're keeping the stock headunit, don't bother with aftermarket speakers, they won't sound as good as the stock ones off the stock headunit.

It probably will make it even worse if you go and bypass the stock amp also.

Bait 05-18-2012 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 459274)
If you're keeping the stock headunit, don't bother with aftermarket speakers, they won't sound as good as the stock ones off the stock headunit.

Well, I blew my factory speakers and I have already replaced with Infinity Kappa's. The sound quality is not much better, but like with a nice set of headphones you can hear more. Anyways all I need to do is add the amp and I already have run my power wire. I just do not want to want to do work twice, that's all. I will replace my H/U when I do my gauges and HVAC controls.

Milhouse 05-18-2012 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 459274)

That's not been my experience. When I did this, the aftermarket speakers sounded better but they just didn't get as loud. Of course it all depends on speaker selection....I wouldn't expect the speakers listed in the OP to be much of an upgrade.

Bait 05-19-2012 10:32 AM

Am I required to use the bypass or can I just unplug it?

red04montels 05-19-2012 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bait (Post 459651)
Am I required to use the bypass or can I just unplug it?

are you keeping the stock headunit or no? If not and adding an amp then you can just unplug it