Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

How to install bass blockers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How to install bass blockers?

Hey guys, i just got my sub and amp installed but i hooked it up to the factory stereo. It feels like if i want a lot of bass i have to turn up the volume almost all the way to the fullest to get a ton of bass, but then my ears hurt because the singing gets too loud But if i crank the bass level to full the bass is awesome at lower volumes but then the rear speakers start to bottom out when i turn it loud. So i read that you can block the bass to the rear speakers which is what i want to do. How would you go about doing this? Has anyone done this?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM

you can't adjust this on your amp?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jimbo7
you can't adjust this on your amp?
I dont think i am able too. Its hooked up through a converter to the factory amp in the trunk? Does the Factory amp have a setting like that or no?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Just remove the rear speakers since they'll basically be pointless if you're removing the bass to them.

Either that or turn the bass off in the speakers in general.

Also, realize, that there's very little room for the air to move unless you remove those rear speakers, so the bass will be pushing them wherever it wants anyways.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Just remove the rear speakers since they'll basically be pointless if you're removing the bass to them.

Either that or turn the bass off in the speakers in general.

Also, realize, that there's very little room for the air to move unless you remove those rear speakers, so the bass will be pushing them wherever it wants anyways.
Well i still want the sound from the rear speakers :P I just want all the bass to be sent to the Sub instead of the speakers

Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 AM

****EDIT NVM YOU HAVE A FACTORY HEAD UNIT*******

CHANGE THAT HU OUT FOR THE REAL DEAL

***original post***
What you really want to do is set your cutoff point on your amp right under the mids frequency (so you don't get higher freqs going to your subs) (your amp should have one of these)
Next make sure you have no bass set on your headunit, only your high freqs for vocals.

Turn the volume all the way up (or as loud as you usually play it) then start turning up the gain on the amp until you find a level you like and sounds good. On some amps they have a bass boost, adjust this one to your liking also, after the gain is set.

If you do this correctly you'll get clear vocals from your speakers inside the car and nice deep bass from your trunk.

Last edited by iMSeRiOuS; 12-19-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 AM

you can always unplug the factory amp then turn up the radio to the volume about wer you have it set at pretty much everyday then set the amp around that

Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Before the days of ready-made crossover units we used to play around with different value capacitors (to cut low fequencies) and resistors (to cut high frequencies) to tailor the sound of our 'custom' systems. Of course, back then your rear speakers consisted of a pair of home bookshelf speakers sitting on the back seat or floor and our high tech head units played 8 track tapes. Maybe you could put a cap on each of the speakers to cut the lower frequencies?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:45 AM

Your rear speakers dont have any bass, when you hook subs up, your bass is then all transmitted to your subs, not your factory speakers. The factory amp is bypassed using the harness, so no the factory amp removal wouldnt help. I would suggest if its too much...

A) smaller subwoofer
B) better amp w/ better settings to adjust
c) remove factory head unit & replace with aftermarket
d) dont use subs, sell your stuff, buy a 4 channel amp, get after market speakers, and plug and play, plenty bass and better sound than factory without the boom.
E) turn your treble up, and bass low, adjust settings.

Or F....And replace all factory stuff, smaller subs w/ better amp for an outstanding system. Try a sealed box, they usually uphold less bass w/ small amps. If you need help free to pm me.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:30 PM

^ No. This is completely false. You still get full signal to the back speakers. Yes you need to add bass blockers if you want to block the lower hz freq to those speakers. Do this after the lineout converter so that the subs still get the same freq that the hu is putting out.

Quick Reply: How to install bass blockers?