Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): How do i know what hid kit to get??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How do i know what hid kit to get??

hey guys i seen a bunch of hid videos and i think i want to upgrade from stock, so far i think i just want the low beams for now. but i had a few questions, does this drain the battery at all and will this work with my automatic lights. also is there a safe way of doing this? i dont want to burn anything out at all. so lastly which would be a good kit to get. im looking to improve lighting but if there is any orange like tint to the light that would be great because ive decide to make my car black and orange. all opinions would be appreciated thanks again guys.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 AM

Hey! Great choice to go with Hids! When you get a good set you will never want to go back to regular bulbs again. Believe it or not they make not only colored bulbs like blue and yellow but also red, green...pretty much whatever you can think of. But I do believe you will get busted for having red or green Hids if driving on the road. Not sure how picky your state is. I used to buy my hids through Pilot Automotive when they sold 55w kits. They discontinued those and only sell the 35w. 35w is awesome but 50 or 55w will blow you away.
With our cars they handle Hids just fine. And Hids don't drain as much as regualr bulbs! Most kits are strictly plug and play and can be installed in less than the time it takes you to heat up some mac and cheese lol. One recommendation tho, some kits are sensitive to vehicles that have computer controlled headlights like ours so some of the kits will flicker or fail to ignite. One simple fix is to order a wiring harness that most sites will try and sell you. It is still plug and play but instead of the Hid ballast being run strictly off of your headlight wiring, it gets the power from the battery so it has a fluent amount of power.
Oh wow I type a lot lol

Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Monteboy03
Hey! Great choice to go with Hids! When you get a good set you will never want to go back to regular bulbs again. Believe it or not they make not only colored bulbs like blue and yellow but also red, green...pretty much whatever you can think of. But I do believe you will get busted for having red or green Hids if driving on the road. Not sure how picky your state is. I used to buy my hids through Pilot Automotive when they sold 55w kits. They discontinued those and only sell the 35w. 35w is awesome but 50 or 55w will blow you away.
With our cars they handle Hids just fine. And Hids don't drain as much as regualr bulbs! Most kits are strictly plug and play and can be installed in less than the time it takes you to heat up some mac and cheese lol. One recommendation tho, some kits are sensitive to vehicles that have computer controlled headlights like ours so some of the kits will flicker or fail to ignite. One simple fix is to order a wiring harness that most sites will try and sell you. It is still plug and play but instead of the Hid ballast being run strictly off of your headlight wiring, it gets the power from the battery so it has a fluent amount of power.
Oh wow I type a lot lol

Ok so in order to avoid all of that is there a kit that isn't as sensitive to the computer controlled headlights that u kno of? And I guess in order to avoid the law I might just go with the white hids

Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM

lol sure. I just bought my friend an Oracle HID kit. His has a lifetime warranty. As for the kit that I have in my Monte, they are Pilot 55W HIDs. I had a kit from xtralights that lasted 5 years with no issues.

Here are the best sites that offer the best products that I know of

ORACLE Xenon Conversion Ballasts
DDM Tuning : HID Kits
Xtralights :: (888)954-4482 Aftermarket Car Headlights, Tail Lights, Turn Signals, Fog Lights

My best advice is to just buy a kit with a wiring harness and keep the harness close by in case you have flickering issues. If the product offers an error code eliminator option then get it. I have never seen my Monte throw a low beam out code. Only a high beam. But who's to say it won't. Kinda sounds funny to just inform the driver of a high beam out.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM

Check out my profile. I got Xentec Slim Ballast HID kits. I got 6000k for the Low Beams (Diamond White), 8000k for the High Beams (Iceberg Blue), and 10,000k for the Fog Lights (Brilliant Blue). It looks awesome. Eventually im gonna upgrade my low beams to 10000k and my high beams to 30,000k (deep blue).