Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

hooking amp to stock head unit trouble!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Default hooking amp to stock head unit trouble!!!

a buddy of mine has a GTP with the bose setup and we were trying to hook up the amp with a converter for the RCA cable. he has a amplifier that came with the car stock. if we hooked up the converter to the back speakers would that mess anything up since it is going after the amp and not before?

[/align]

Old 03-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Default RE: hooking amp to stock head unit trouble!!!

You will have to tap into the rear speakers before the factory amp. Casue if you tap into the speaker after the amp, your basicly amplifying an already amped signal. Just seems logical to go before the factory amp.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:18 PM

I did mone before the amp right at the plug for the amp. Worked great for over a year before i changed the head unit out to one with the rca's on it.

but bo. is correct on this

Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 PM

where can i go to get a wire diagram of it, cause tried that but we still got no sound from the subs

Old 03-17-2008, 07:42 PM

It's ok to tap it after the amp. That is the way I ran mine in my car and it is a 140 db 1500watt system with no problems.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 PM

we looked it up on a couple other websites, we have the converter hooked up right, but can't get anything out of the subs. my guess is the amp or the subs themselves.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 PM

ok not sayign your not capeabel of doing htis but here we go just incease yall missed somethign and didnt catch it. sometimes this happens after looking at somethign to long

1. connect the converter in to the wires for the rear speakers.
2. run RCA cabels from converter to the amp.
3. Run power wires threw car from Bat. and also from a TRIGGER wire normally in this case from a Key on source so it has power with the key.
4. Run speaker wires from amp tot eh subs.
5. put a new fuse in fuse holder and then turn on stereo it should give noise.
If it dose not check fuses on AMP
check them on power wires
Check even the one you did as a trigger wire.
I have actually had them all right and know that they should work to only find out some place along the line i streched a wire to much and broke the trigger wire.
So this could be it to.

Also dose you amp have a light on it? If so check the amp and see if you have power to it lighting it up. Some will have a protect light and a power light.
Another thing try to hook it up in a diffrent channel if it is a 2 channel amp try to see if there is a fuse int eh back of the amp inside of it ( I have one that is this way now!![:@]I hate them)
Also make sure that you have the converter turned all the way up on the dials sometimes they will come turned eitehr all the way off or just barley on and you will not get enough signal from them to trigger the subs to work.

Hope that helps ya some.

Also try truning the gains on the amp up at this point dont worry about tuning anythign just get it to make some noise then tune it.

Take a photo of the amp and i can see if i can helo you more but with out knowing the amp the subs etc.. kind of shootign in the dark here

Old 03-18-2008, 08:33 PM

^^^^
good advice

Old 03-21-2008, 12:11 AM

ok the amp is a sony xplod 1200w Model: XM2002GTR

and the subs are 2 12" MTX thunders 5500 600w together

the light on the amp comes on, but no power to subs. my buddy is at school till tomorrow so unfortunately we won't be able to work on it till saturday. i will double check all of that, i have put a couple systems in before but none with a stock head unit...it sucks lol.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:03 PM

hahahaha ok we are complete idiots lol it took me 5 minutes to fix the problem lol. on the amp there are 4 terminals 2 for + and 2 for - well i bridged it wrong on accident. lol once i noticed my mistake we spent a good hour of driving around and testing it out. thanks for the help guys i appreciate it!

Quick Reply: hooking amp to stock head unit trouble!!!