Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Heads Up Display

Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Heads Up Display

Some may think it's pretty cheesy, but ever since i seen it in my buddies GTP I've thought it was pretty cool. I haven't heard of anyone putting a heads up display in a car that didn't have one stock, and really didn't think it was even possible, yet after looking on ebay, i've found one that sounds like it's plug and play. (link below) Has anyone ever installed anything like this, or even know if it's possible on our cars? (i know it looks pretty cheap, but it's a good example)

Heads Up Display HUD KM OBD Rpm/Speed/water temp/volt | eBay

Old 06-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

I've been wanting to put one on my monte for a while now but i hear that you should get a special type of windshield put in the car so the display is clear soo idk

Old 06-11-2011, 12:54 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I'm sure they didn't put a "special" windshield in my 2000 GTP to get the HUD to show up. You can't use polarized sunglasses though - then you won't be able to see anything.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS View Post
I'm sure they didn't put a "special" windshield in my 2000 GTP to get the HUD to show up.
Actually.. they did... there are 2 different windshields for the GTP, one with HUD and one without

Typically, there is a reflective area on a HUD windshield that helps make the display more visible

BBEngineer

Old 06-11-2011, 02:24 PM

The two different windshields must not have been that noticeable to the naked eye, then. I've never seen one with HUD.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:42 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010

Well it isnt visible, it just reflects more.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:25 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bbengineer View Post
Actually.. they did... there are 2 different windshields for the GTP, one with HUD and one without

Typically, there is a reflective area on a HUD windshield that helps make the display more visible

BBEngineer
I stand corrected and I do find it very interesting. I don't know why GM would have gone to the trouble....

Last edited by AwesomeSS; 06-11-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Well the corvettes have that kind of windshield. After I test drove a 2007 back when I lived in Pensacola I've wanted one but then i heard that I'd have to change out the windshield & to me it isn't worth that much trouble. I don't want it that bad lol

Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

Just a feature that i've always thought was awesome. . . . brock said he's got an app that works like a hud, you just set your phone on your dash . . . . . kinda takes the sweetness factor out of it

Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member

I haven't heard of anyone putting a heads up display in a car that didn't have one stock, and really didn't think it was even possible
I will be doing it on my monte once the interior comes apart again. I've got a HUD, DIC, and BCM from a GP and I took the interior wiring harness and cut it down to the bare minimum wires to work- they just need to be tapped into the appropriate spots.

The hard part about making it work isn't really the wiring- its mounting the thing. If you look on the GP's- when you take that bubble dash off, it sits pretty deep in there. With the windshield in place, you'd have a hard time cutting the dash away, and making a proper mount (unless you pulled the whole dash out of the car which would suck too).

i've found one that sounds like it's plug and play
Don't see why it wouldn't work- it looks like it reads the obd info just like any other scan tool would- only it puts the info on a display. Only odd thing is it mentions kilometers and hour 3 times, but never MPH- I'd hope there is some button to switch?

I've been wanting to put one on my monte for a while now but i hear that you should get a special type of windshield put in the car so the display is clear soo idk
As mentioned above- there are different windshields for HUD and non-HUD cars, although you can't really tell the difference just looking at them.

However, there have been plenty of GP people put HUDs in there cars on the non-HUD windshield (and how many owners have had cracked windshields replaced with non-HUD windshields by companies that didn't care)- and it does still display.

If nothing else, you could always use some film on the windshield like they do in that ebay unit.

It is great to have, and sad that more cars don't come with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heads Up Display

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.