Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

headlights shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:27 AM
Default headlights shutting off

Hi-
I have a 2003 Carlo and there have been two times that when i was driving home I had my brights on and all of a sudden all the headlights completely shut off. Does anybody know what causes this or has anybody had this happen to them. It took me a little bit to find a way to turn them back on. The first time it happened I was on the interstate heading home when they shut off so I pulled off the road and turned off the car and turned it back on and that didn't help anything. Even the automatic lights didn't come on when I started the car. I finally decided to turn the brights on and they fianlly came back on. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Thank you!

Old 11-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Default RE: headlights shutting off

The only thing I could think of checking would ne the fuses and fuse box

Old 11-19-2006, 11:54 AM

I highly doubt it's fuses... when a fuse blows, it's not intermittent, it's blown...

From the sound of it, you Multifunction Switch is on the way out (that's the stalk that controls the turn signals and brights)... it's a pretty common problem...

BBEngineer

Old 11-23-2006, 01:56 AM

Yep I've had a very similiar problem.
Ever since I bought my monte, the brights have always been weird. Sometimes they won't come on when I pull the handle. They usually will get stuck on when I try to turn them off too. On 2 occasions I have been driving with my brights on, and all of a sudden they turn off. When this happens I just switch back to regular lights and then when I go back to brights they work. I'm pretty sure my problem is with the turn signal/bright switch in the steering column.

Yours is a little different because its your regular lights as well. But I would still look into the bright switch as it could be affecting the regular lights. Be aware its a really expensive part to fix though.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My '01 had lighting problems. Flickering and wierd stuff. Had to replace the BCM (body control module) at about 90,000 mi. I'm thinking it's under the drivers seat, under the carpet. The lighting system is totally computer controlled, i'm told. The switches tell the computer what to do, on, off, etc. It's what it took to fix mine.