Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default headlight issues

I've had an ongoing problem with my lights... my lows seem to be fine, but when I turn my highs on all my lights, including my dash lights shut off. The only ones that don't shut off are my fogs. I've taken it to a shop and they said they 'fixed' it but its happened since then. This SUCKS driving down back roads at night. What could this be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2010, 06:27 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

its might be the multi function switch on the steering colum or the light switch itself other than that idk really

Old 02-20-2010, 06:47 PM

check the wires and look for burn spots, or check the fuse it could be to big

Old 02-21-2010, 04:11 PM

Thanks. The shop I took it to changed the **** thing by the fog light button and didn't even look at the highbeam switch. And before i took it to that shop I took it to a Chevy dealership and they told me they couldn't do anything unless they reproduced the issue. but it doesn't happen all the time. I'm definately gonna check the wiring, and I'll check the fuse as well. I sure hope it's an easy fix.

Last edited by bambi88; 02-21-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 AM

idk how your highs turn on but if its anything like my car you have to pull back on teh turn signal lever to toggle between highs and lows. now if i turn my highs on and i dont hear the "click" ALL of my lights turn off. and its completely random when they turn off just if i dont hear the "click". hope this helps?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
idk how your highs turn on but if its anything like my car you have to pull back on teh turn signal lever to toggle between highs and lows. now if i turn my highs on and i dont hear the "click" ALL of my lights turn off. and its completely random when they turn off just if i dont hear the "click". hope this helps?
That's what I've started to listen for and I hear it and it still happens so idk whats going on. Its still been a lil cold outside so I haven't had a chance to go look at the wiring or anything lately but as soon as it warms up a lil bit I'm gonna go make sure none of my wires are loose or burnt or anything.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:15 PM

well sorry to hear that, but the only thing i can tell you is MAYBE try pulling it back harder(dont break it though) and see if that will help, but other than that idk.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:49 PM

believe me i've almost broke it multiple times. it takes them forever to come back on once they have shut off. i have to keep hitting my turn signal/high beam switch a bunch of times for them to come back on.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:23 PM

well like peoples 01 said your fuse might be to big and it might have fried something, other thhan that im lost

Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 PM

If this is only a problem sometimes, and other times everything works like it should, you can most likely rule out an issue with your fuses. Check them to make sure they're not blown though just to be sure. Make sure you actually pull the fuse out to check it, don't just look at it while it's plugged in. If you don't have any blown fuses and none of them are excessively larger than they're supposed to be, you can also be pretty confident that you don't have any shorted wires, because in that case, a fuse should be blown to keep the car from burning to the ground.

Personally, with the symptoms you've described, it sounds like the switch has gone bad to me. I don't know what's involved with changing that, but I would imagine it's not much fun.

Quick Reply: headlight issues