Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Default Head Unit

I'm looking to throw in a head unit into my '02 SS, jsut replacing the CD player itself so that I can have true sound with my iPod hookup instead of using a tape deck adapter. My question it what exactly would I be losing? What exactly all comes out? And how would I be able to reset my oil life and all of that?

I'm having BestBuy do it. My friend is coming a long with me since he knows about this kind of stuff, so he's gonna make sure they do it right, but what should I be looking for when they're installing it?

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Default RE: Head Unit

If all you're lookin for is a decent iPod interface, why not go with a Periferal device. They usually just plug into your stock head unit (most likely into the CD changer plug), and they can even be controlled thru your steering wheel controls and song titles can come up on your factory deck.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 PM

You have to buy a harness that is around $100.....

I'll post a pic of the one I had to get....It wont work any other way

the harness includes a databus interface to talk to the computer of the car...

now this harness will include all door/light dings and you can even adjust the volume of the ding....

**BTW** You should do the install yourself....literally 4 screws and an install kit ($10)...you probably paid at least $125 for the install plur all these parts....

and here i saved this from another post......

to reset the oil light
turn your car to on
NOT RUN !
DO NOT START CAR
push the gas pedel to the floor three times within 30sec. and then turn off the ing.
wait 10sec.
turn back on and start the car. If it didnt reset then repeat it till it does.

to reset your tire montitor.
turn the car to ON not run and do not start the car
turn on the park lights switch three times with in 10sec.
recycel the switch with a 10sec pause
then turn on car and start....... the tire montior warning will go off.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:36 AM

I fya do a serch here on the site there are tons of threads on this verry subject and all of them have the answers you seek in them

Not to be a ***** but this is truley a verry common question here.
there are several the describe it in details

Old 06-27-2008, 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: paddock

If all you're lookin for is a decent iPod interface, why not go with a Periferal device. They usually just plug into your stock head unit (most likely into the CD changer plug), and they can even be controlled thru your steering wheel controls and song titles can come up on your factory deck.
Because my CD player only takes one disc at a time, and I have no plug-ins for an aux. cord anywhere.

And thanks for the replies!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Dominator8

ORIGINAL: paddock

Because my CD player only takes one disc at a time, and I have no plug-ins for an aux. cord anywhere.

And thanks for the replies!

I'd bet a box of dounuts that there's a CD changer plug in the back of that radio. Most all SS models have that. Most also don't have the CD changer from factory installed.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:53 AM

I really don't think mine has it. Then again, I wouldn't know, I've never been behind the unit. I used to used a tape deack adapter for my iPod, and it sounded really good but not as good as it should, yaknow? I still had the annoying hissing noise and all of that. I love my iPod to death, and carrying CD's in my car is just a pain. It's a lot easier to have 3000 songs right there in the palm of your hand.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what kind of adapter I need so that I can have the use of my steering wheel controls and everything else that gets lost while doing this? I'm getting the head unit Monday, but I'm gonna hold off on the installation until I have more knowledge of what's really going on behind that dash and what all I need.

My previous posts were made when I was in a rish and heading out the door. Now I have more time to explain what I'm looking at doing. I did do a forum seach, but only found a little bit of information. I really appreciate the replies, especially from the guys that have done what I'm about to do. It's really helpful, so keep 'em coming. I need all the help I can get so I don't screw anything up.

The thing I'm most concerned about losing are my door chimes, resetting oil life, and my message center. I'm not at all concerned about losing my steering wheel controls, because I don't use any of them anyway. So what do I need to get the above 3 things I mentioned to work when I insteall the HU? And is there anything else that you lose that I'm unaware of?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:29 PM

Pm me your VIN.. I can forward it to a friend of mine and he can tell me if YOUR car has the CD changer plug in the radio! As long as that is the head unit that came in the car.

[align=right] [/align]

Old 06-28-2008, 05:33 PM

Yea, it's the factory radio. If it has the plug in the back, what's this mean? I don't want anything to do with CD's, just wanna hookup my iPod and have digital quality.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:57 PM

you can get a harness that plugs into the CD changer plug in the back of the radio and then plug that harness into your iPod. Some of the harnessess actually allow you to control the iPod thru the steering wheel controls and the song title and info will come up on your radio display.

Quick Reply: Head Unit