Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Got new Sub in and now Lights DIm

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Got new Sub in and now Lights DIm

Okay so my amp just came, Polk Audio PAD 1000.1, its pushing a type x. ANyways i noticed when a low note came on, my lights on the dash were dimming and so were the outsides and the rpm was going down alot. How can i fix this, would a capcitor work?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM

Have you done the big 3? What kind of wire did you use? And what gauge is it? How good is your ground?

Dont run a cap, just get a small second battery.. Make sure you get an AGM battery.. that is if all else above checks out good. if you go to an audio show there isnt one person using a cap... Theres a reason for that.. You would be ALOT happier when a small battery rather then a cap if needed of course

Old 04-13-2013, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member

Nope everything is stock. The alternator is putting out 120 amps, Battery is Brand new and im running 4 gauge wiring for power and ground.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Nope everything is stock. The alternator is putting out 120 amps, Battery is Brand new and im running 4 gauge wiring for power and ground.
Definitly do the big three! And do it in 0 gauge. Always go over kill.. And this is why.. Also what brand 4 gauge are you using?

Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member

Ok, what cables do I replace and how would I do it ? Should this help with the lights dimming, and how difficult will this be

Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member

Also it doesnt seem loud. MY Rockford fosate p2 with a 400 watt amp is sounding way louder then this. The amp is supposed to be putting out 800 watts rms to this sub. Like the sub is flexing but it doesnt even seem loud inside the car, nor does it rattle anything

Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM

Also it doesnt seem loud. MY Rockford fosate p2 with a 400 watt amp is sounding way louder then this. The amp is supposed to be putting out 800 watts rms to this sub. Like the sub is flexing but it doesnt even seem loud inside the car, nor does it rattle anything
Run a fused wire from the + of your battery to the charging post of your alternator.. Ground the engine to the frame of the car than run a ground from the battery to where you grounded the motor. And if you have wire left ground the alternator to the same spot(even though its grounded to the motor just do it for fun.)

So many things go into this..

Are you using same headunit?
Again you never told me what brand wire you used(yes it matters ALOT)
How fair up is the gain?(easy but i made this mistake before)
Any type of bass boost on the HU or amp?

How closely are you watching your voltage? Do you have a volt meter on the dash to keep an eye on it? If you dont want to go that route get a DMM and make sure it stays in the high 12s or 13s. now play the stereo full tilt and go to the amp, the alternator and the battery. see what the voltage looks like.. Check to see it your not loosing a bunch of voltage from one point to another... I run 14,000 RMS in my monte carlo these cars are a little tricky to get right.. But theres a lot that goes into making your voltage correct

Last edited by Boxman420; 04-14-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member

Holy crap 14000 RMS! Thats crazy haha!! Well i went today to buy some 0 gauge wire for the big 3 but when i was told the price for the wire i nearly died ! Total was going to be over 240$!!! I dont have the money for that right now so i just bought some 12 gauge wire for the subwoofer to amp. The headunit is the stock headunit for the Monte with the CD and Cassete. The wire was from a wiring kit i got a few years ago, i think it was pro connects or something. The gain is all the way up on both the amp and crossover bass on the HU is in the middle, and even when i have bass boost on full on amp its still not even close to being loud as my other subs

Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 PM

Holy crap 14000 RMS! Thats crazy haha!! Well i went today to buy some 0 gauge wire for the big 3 but when i was told the price for the wire i nearly died ! Total was going to be over 240$!!! I dont have the money for that right now so i just bought some 12 gauge wire for the subwoofer to amp. The headunit is the stock headunit for the Monte with the CD and Cassete. The wire was from a wiring kit i got a few years ago, i think it was pro connects or something. The gain is all the way up on both the amp and crossover bass on the HU is in the middle, and even when i have bass boost on full on amp its still not even close to being loud as my other subs

Yeah lol i love bass! Dude dont go to a store to buy that! They are gonna charge you 2$ for the ring terminals, and around 5-6$ a foot! Buy some KNUKONCEPTZ CCA is fine for what your running.. I have probably around 250feet of it and its amazing quality wire! The only reason i ask about the brand is cause i see a lot of compaies sell 4 gauge and its literally 8 gauge or even less then that..

Another thing i wonder if that amp needs a better pre volt comming from the HU.. Pre volt is very important when it comes to loudness and clearity.. Also be very careful with the gain.. My gains are always around 50-60%.. I have something to tune them but with out i stick to around 50% you dont want to blow anything.. Although your under powering that sub slightly.. But just a word from experience! .

Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member

Well im starting to think my box is too small for the sub. WHich wire would you reccomened from that website

Quick Reply: Got new Sub in and now Lights DIm