Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

front door panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:03 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question front door panel removal

hey guys, just picked up some infinity kappa 3 way 6 1/2's for the front doors on ebay for a sweet deal, $90 shipped. i've never removed my front door panels though, so if anyone could walk me through it that'd be great. thanks!

also, do i need a special wire adapter to connect these speakers from the stock wiring. i know usually they bundle it all together as one plug in stock form, and i'd rather not split the wires.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Taking the door panel off is super easy, but you have to be careful.

First just find all the screws, and unscrew those... IDK their locations right now, not looking at a door. But just go through and find them all (especially the one in the door handle)

Then you take a flathead and go around the bottom of the door pulling out the clips, and go around from the bottom to the right / left and vice-versa. But keep from letting the door hang on its own once you start undoing clips, because there are metal hooks for the top of the door and you dont' want those to bend. Once you work off all the clips around the bottom / sides, just kind of LIFT the door up and away being careful of all your switches / wires and you are done.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM

there is 2 bolt like skrews in the door handel and then just pop the door off

Old 10-30-2009, 08:00 PM

Also two of the bolts by the door handle have star heads so you'll need a set of those before you start. I think they are size 20 or 25 but I can't remember exactly. Be careful with the wiring as well. The switches are very easy to mess up if you pull too hard. If you still have the stock speakers installed you'll have to splice the wiring.

LF Speaker +/-tan - gray+
RF Speaker +/-lt. green - dk. green+
LR Speaker +/-brown - yellow+
RR Speaker +/-dk. blue - lt. blue+

Last edited by Wilco; 10-30-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by peoples 01 ss
there is 2 bolt like skrews in the door handel and then just pop the door off
haha, I wish that's all there was to it.

chibiblacksheep is spot on except that you should remove the small panel that houses the door lock switch and unplug the switch before you attempt to remove the panel and don't just lift the panel up and away once you get the clips undone because you then have to fight with the other switches. This is the hardest part of removing the panels because the idiots at Chevy decided it was a great idea to put the release buttons on the connectors facing the door panel so it makes it super difficult to get to them and press them in to get those switches unplugged.

I have found that once you lift up on the panel and get it off the door that it's best to rotate the panel clockwise 90* so you can access those connectors. It can be done by yourself but I would suggest an extra set of hands to help out especially if it's your first time. Just take your time with it, be patient, and be careful because like they said, it's very easy to break them.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Yea, Ive taken mine off so many times now it pops off way easy lol.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:11 PM

yea same here. ive takin off so many door panels that its like like riding a bike............ with plastic clips and skrews lol

Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

bought my speaker terminal adapters today, gonna install the new infinity kappa 3 ways hopefully tomorrow night after work. thanks for all the help guys!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by montyss02
Also two of the bolts by the door handle have star heads so you'll need a set of those before you start. I think they are size 20 or 25 but I can't remember exactly.
They are torx 30 and the screws on the speakers are torx 15

Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 AM

Thanks! It's been a while and I since replace those with "normal" screws, lol.

Quick Reply: front door panel removal