Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   Footwell LED Lights (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/footwell-led-lights-41912/)

Jethro 03-15-2013 06:38 AM

Interior LED Lights

Hey guys, I am looking to get an LED to go in my Monte. I was thinking 2 at the foot level in the front and then 1 underneath each the seats so that it lights up the backseat floor area as well. I am aiming low because I do not want it to bother anyone riding in my vehicle, for the same reason I am looking for some Dark red LED's, not bright red. I haven't worked with the electronic side of things on a car before so something that is easy to install without messing with too much wiring.

Any ideas and what I should go with? If you have a better position in the car for it for an awesome interior look I would love to hear it!

Thanks again
Cody

Tadcaster 03-15-2013 06:50 AM

I replace the lights under the das with red LED Pods from e-bay you can't see them unless ther are on (i repoved the stock bulbs)

I also use a 3 inch red LED strip under the radio to light up the cubby and map pockets in the door & changed the door light to red rather than blue
Also I drilled a very small hole behing the inside door handles and inserted a single red LED bulb withed to the door panel lights this makes i look like the newwer luxury cars for sure

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...s/GEDC0008.jpg

Jethro 03-15-2013 07:12 AM

The door panel and under radio cubby is pretty awesome I did not think of that. I was considering getting this kit - LEDGlow - because you can adjust the brightness and also can make it go to the sound of your music. Apparently it has a microphone in the box. What do you think?

Also, back to the radio cubby and door panel, where did you get the 3in strip for it and where did you get your bulb for the door panel? Were they difficult to install? How did you do it?

Tadcaster 03-15-2013 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jethro (Post 534776)
The door panel and under radio cubby is pretty awesome I did not think of that. I was considering getting this kit - LEDGlow - because you can adjust the brightness and also can make it go to the sound of your music. Apparently it has a microphone in the box. What do you think?

Also, back to the radio cubby and door panel, where did you get the 3in strip for it and where did you get your bulb for the door panel? Were they difficult to install? How did you do it?

If you hook your light up to the right lead they will adjust to brightness with your dash light adjustment knob. I got the LED bulbs a radio shack and the LED strips from plasma glow.

these link may be of interest to you
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...ictures-29652/

At any rate the door panels need to come off - Locate your wiring to your door panel switch lights you willl hook into them I drilled a small hole behind the inside dooor handle well and pushed the LED light in (hole sligthly smaller than light) same for map well light strip just a small hole with a punch and pullded the strip wire through attached the strip to the map well wall wire to your door panel lifghts and they will dim with your dash light adjustment

Jethro 03-15-2013 07:56 AM

Well I always have my dash light knob adjusted to brightest so I wouldn't want them connected that way. How do you connect up a single LED Bulb like you did in your door panel? Never done it before so I am not sure.

Tadcaster 03-15-2013 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jethro (Post 534794)
Well I always have my dash light knob adjusted to brightest so I wouldn't want them connected that way. How do you connect up a single LED Bulb like you did in your door panel? Never done it before so I am not sure.

our posts crossed in the mail :rotfl: see my post before youres

Franks 03SS 03-15-2013 08:08 AM

I just replaced all of my interior lighting with white led bulbs from eBay, its Really Really nice and bright now. I replaced the 2 by foot area, the 2 in the rear view mirror and the dome light as well :)

Jethro 03-15-2013 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS (Post 534796)
I just replaced all of my interior lighting with white led bulbs from eBay, its Really Really nice and bright now. I replaced the 2 by foot area, the 2 in the rear view mirror and the dome light as well :)

Yeah I am going to replace the rear view mirror 2 bulbs with LED for light and the dome with LED, but I would like red LED on bottom and would like them to be on while I drive, but don't really want to drive around with the Dome lights on 24/7. Doesn't the drain the battery rather quickly? If I need to look in my car a Dark Red light wouldn't be doing me much good so I was going to stick with my LED Lights in dome and mirror and try to get strips that aren't intertwined with that.

Originally Posted by Tadcaster (Post 534795)
our posts crossed in the mail :rotfl: see my post before youres

I swear that you edited that post - that explanation wasn't there before! :rotfl: At any rate, yeah I have read that whole thread, wasn't a fan of the duct taping and what not or sticking it in with another 12v fuse. Don't want to blow anything. Then again my cigarette lighter doesn't even work haha. I will definitely try that individual bulb in the door panel though! It looks pretty sweet!

My other only problem is that I have tan leather and not black, think the red will look weird with it? I don't really think will matter at night in the dark but who knows until I try right?

Tadcaster 03-15-2013 08:28 AM

Ya know my wife has tan in her 2012 Buick and her blue accent lights look really neat in it ..... Consider blue?

Jethro 03-15-2013 08:35 AM

Well my car color is Dark Torreador Red (Maroonish) So I figured that the lower lit red ones would look better overall. Don't you think opening the door to see blue would be kind of weird looking in it?

Tadcaster 03-15-2013 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jethro (Post 534803)
Well my car color is Dark Torreador Red (Maroonish) So I figured that the lower lit red ones would look better overall. Don't you think opening the door to see blue would be kind of weird looking in it?

get a small LED strip from auto zone they have that "Try me" button on em... test it out with ou actually conecting it.... If you don't like it take it back (dont remove from package)

:thumbsup:

burgundybullet 03-15-2013 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jethro (Post 534774)
Hey guys, I am looking to get an LED to go in my Monte. I was thinking 2 at the foot level in the front and then 1 underneath each the seats so that it lights up the backseat floor area as well. I am aiming low because I do not want it to bother anyone riding in my vehicle, for the same reason I am looking for some Dark red LED's, not bright red. I haven't worked with the electronic side of things on a car before so something that is easy to install without messing with too much wiring.

Any ideas and what I should go with? If you have a better position in the car for it for an awesome interior look I would love to hear it!

Thanks again
Cody

I would highly suggest putting them on seperate switches. (Fronts on one switch and rears on the other) This way if you have people complaining about the light you could shut it off or if no one even rides in the backseat you could even just keep it off. In my opinion there will probably be a time when you will want to do that. I am currently working on this for my car. I am thinking of having a 3 position switch for the rear to switch from the red led to a bright white led strip if I am trying to find something under my seat at night. Odds are the white will never be used but it wont hurt to have that option. My motto has always kind of been if your going to do all the work now just go above and beyond because it will pay off later.

Jethro 03-15-2013 11:22 AM

That is a pretty good idea! I think that I will go ahead and do that so I can turn the back on and off while having the front on. I can only have 2 switches so it will work out.

burgundybullet 03-15-2013 11:47 AM

Im slightly confused as to why you can only have 2 switches?

Jethro 03-15-2013 11:54 AM

Well I purchased this kit here: LEDGlow - On the power box it has a port A and B, so I can use A for front and B for back. Then I can connect the red and black wire to the battery and I won't have to mess with any fuses. I haven't ever messed with the wiring and fuses on a vehicle before so this was out of my zone, plus for the cost of some LED and a led strip I got this whole package for about the same. Plus it can move to music and do all sorts of things including adjusting the brightness. 1 year warranty and yeah. I only paid 50$ for 6 12.5" Flexible Red LED strips a power box and a wireless remote to it. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me and I read some good reviews online.

burgundybullet 03-15-2013 12:03 PM

Yea that seems like a good thing actually. I just get the 15 LED strips and wire it up by using a fuse tap thingy. Or maybe it was from the power drop. I cant remember. I had 3 switches already hooked up for headlight LEDs and Halos so I kind of know what Im doing. When I first started doing this I think that this would have been a good kit to look into. lol. I'm too far along to go back and do this but I wish you luck with it!

burgundybullet 03-15-2013 12:05 PM

The only problem I see is that you will have to shut them off when you turn off the car. Is that correct?

Jethro 03-15-2013 12:15 PM

Yeah it is a good kit I think. Yeah it will stay on so I will have to turn it off, but hey, it has a wireless remote lol. It was either that or put it on a switch fuse that is not a constant 12v and it will not remember what it was patterns/color previously set to when you turn off vehicle. Honestly I like this because I wont have them on during the day, and also will only turn them on when I am out cruising or with friends... or want to be easily entertained by flashing lights lol. That is the only down fall to the whole thing. Having to turn them off by the wireless remote when you get out of the vehicle. At the same time it is nice because I won't have to have entire vehicle on to have Lights if just chilling outside. Which when it is 70-80 degrees outside at 12am-3am, parking lot hang out with friends at whattaburger are quite common!:thumbsup:

burgundybullet 03-15-2013 12:26 PM

I see you have actually thought this through pretty well! I was afraid you didn't know that or something and were going to find out the hard way. Sounds like you are set to go. Now go do it and post pictures. lol

Jethro 03-15-2013 12:31 PM

Yeah one thing I am lacking is pictures! I am getting monte back today from shop, had to get sunroof replaced, and my in channel window weather strip should come in today and the Alpine S speakers should come in Saturday, get those installed and wait for the LED's to come in as well as the MCF Decals from Taz and it will be off to the car wash and picture time!

burgundybullet 03-15-2013 12:41 PM

Lucky for you you dont have any snow I'm assuming. haha. I have stuff to add to mine some of which I will do over spring break but I need the snow gone to really clean it up good to get some nice pictures.

Jethro 03-15-2013 12:58 PM

Oh no no no.. Snow.. HA! I live in Texas, I think the entire summer we got snow maybe twice and only stuck to the ground once. Which happened to be on Christmas so that was nice! Other then that we started hitting 70's in Mid January again lol. It is 83 outside right now. Rotors and Brakes shipped out today! Going to wait to put those on until I have my shocks and struts to replace at same time though and the paint for calipers.