Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

factory radio auto tone

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default factory radio auto tone

I have a 2004 MC with the factory AM/FM CD. I have Sirius Satellite wired in using a FM direct connection via the factory antenna. My Satellite radio transmits on 95.9 FM and the reception is great. My problem is with the "Auto Tone" on my factory radio. When I start the car the "Auto Tone" for 95.9 is always set at the "news" setting. I press the "Auto Tone" button and index through the settings ,,, "pop" "country" "rock" etc. Normally I chose "rock" for that's the music I normally listen to. But after I shut down the vehicle and then get back in, the radio reverts back to "news" on the Auto Tone settings. Is there a way to make "rock" the default tone for 95.9 FM?

Thanks for any help,
Duke

Old 01-07-2010, 04:11 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

ive nvr had that problem when i always set mine it stayed where i set it, hmmmm

Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Holy cow! Well it took me long enough, but I finally figured out my auto tone problem. I heard a saying one time that you only have to be 1% smarter than the problem you're trying to fix ,,

The reason the preset radio station was returning to the "news" setting was because that was the auto tone selected when the preset was set. Turns out all my presets had the auto tone set to "news" when the presets were set. As I recall when I traded my '97 Monte Carlo in at the dealer, before taking delivery of the new car the dealer put in all my presets he took from the previous car.

All I had to do was set the auto tone to rock and then press and hold the preset button. Which set the preset on the radio, in the correct auto tone setting. I then changed the country station and top 40 stations to the correct auto tone setting.

They say you should learn something new everyday. Mission accomplished.

Earl

Old 02-03-2010, 05:07 AM

I must not know how to set up my auto tone on my 2004 Dale Jr because mine always reverts back to manual when I shut the car off. My stereo is the factory original with no add ons. The auto tone on the factory stereo in my 98 chevy trucks stay on whatever you select.

Wayne

Old 02-03-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by 70monte1
I must not know how to set up my auto tone on my 2004 Dale Jr because mine always reverts back to manual when I shut the car off. My stereo is the factory original with no add ons. The auto tone on the factory stereo in my 98 chevy trucks stay on whatever you select.

Wayne
My 03 works pretty much the way he described. Tune the station, choose the auto tone and press the # button to save the station and settings...

Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 PM

exactly, the presets on your radio were set while the auto tone was in the manual mode. press the preset of your favorite rock station. Set the auto tone to rock and then press and hold the same rock station preset until you hear a beep. That station preset and the rock auto tone are now saved for that preset. Do the same for for your country or hip hop or top 40 (pop) stations using the appropriate auto tone, and the auto tone will always stay with that preset.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Default quick pic

thought I'd throw out a quick pic of my 04 MC.

Attached Thumbnails factory radio auto tone-2004-monte-carlo.jpg  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

i did the same thing the first while i had my car, haha. personally i dont even use the preset settings except for country. my manuel ***** are set up for rock

and earl, that copper color looks sweet, i dont think i've ever seen it... or i dont remember it looking that good. looks like the copperhead C-10 stacy david built on trucks a while back. any pics of that '97?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM

No pics of the '97. It was the only factory purple MC I saw in my area (Pittsburgh, PA) when it was new. The 04 is actually the factory Victory Red color, but in that early morning sunlight it had that golden hue to it so I snapped the pic. Probably sunlight bouncing of the smog or something !! hehehe.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks for providing the procedure to set the auto tone. Funnily enough, all of the local stations that I listen to were already programmed into the radio by the previous owner. She must have set them with the auto tone on manual. I will have to reprogram them with the auto tone on.

Wayne

Quick Reply: factory radio auto tone