Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Interior Build: Does anyone know what the connectors at the bottom of the seat do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:48 PM
1 Year Member
Default Does anyone know what the connectors at the bottom of the seat do?

Well obviously they power something up, but I'm trying to figure out what each wire actually does. I got 2003 Monte Carlo SS seats and I will be modifying them to bolt into a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme.

I know there is a thick orange and a thick black wire. I know these are for the 6 way adjustments. Now I need to figure out what the other 3 wires do. These seats are heated btw.

One one line rof the connector, there is a thick orange wire (which is the power) but there is also a thin orange wire, which I'm not sure what it does.

On the other line of the connector, there is a light blue and pink wire. The ground wire is also on this line.

I just need to figure out what the other 3 wires do. From my understanding of a wiring schematic I found online, the pink would trigger the low heat setting for the heater and the light blue triggers the high heat setting. Now my theory is that the orange powers the actual heat grid, but then I'm at a loss as to where the heater would ground since there is only one ground on the connector and that grounds the motor itself.

All help is appreciated as always

Old 03-26-2015, 09:07 PM

i would guess you have wires for:
power track (sliding, tilt and what not)
heated seats
and for the side air bag thats in the seat

Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 AM
1 Year Member

Actually, only the driver's side has the airbag. Not sure if this was consistent throughout all the years, but from what I've seen in the junkyard, 2000-2004 had driver's side airbag only. That's at least how I got mine, driver's airbag only. That's something I'd like to delete too. My 94 only had driver's airbag. Kinda pointless to have the seat one in there but I guess that's a different thread.

The airbag connectors come in a separate harness. The driver's side has 2 harnesses, the big connector that has the power seat functions as the passenger and the airbag. I assume somewhere in there there's also the seat belt light wiring but I need to check it out before I talk about that.

But yeah, I already figured out which one powers the track motor, it's only 2. I just need to figure out how to power the heated seat function.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The always hot wire is on the same circuit as the BCM. That wire is red. Fuse is in the left inst. fuse panel for the drivers seat, the right panel for the passenger side and labeled HTD ST/BCM. Then it runs to the heated seat relay, then the hi/lo seat temp switch. The power wire is orange that runs to the heated seat relay module. The ground goes to the HSRM. The pink is lo heat , but the light blue is "on". Hope this helps.

Last edited by plumbob; 03-27-2015 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Add to.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:05 AM
1 Year Member

Thank you plumbob, that helps a lot. Now I guess my question is whether or not I can get the heated seats to work without the BCM.

My other question is since the wiring on the bottom of the seat doesn't have a "ground" wire for the heated seats, is that something that I would have found on the relay? Or in other words, do I have to wire up a relay in my 94 Cutlass to get the heater to work in the seats? It's somewhat strange to me that the wiring on the bottom has no ground wire.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK, I didn't realize the car wasn't a Monte, but I think it will work fine w/o the BCM. You may have to run a new, separate always hot wire back to the fuse block though. Hope you have an unused terminal there where you can hook up to. Use a 15A fuse. The ground for the system is at the relay. Since there's no power past the relay until you turn the heat on with the switch you don't need a ground at the seat. In other words, the circuit is open until you close it when you turn the switch on, then the power runs through the grounded relay. So you're gonna need that HSRM which as you probably already know is under the seat bottom.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:23 AM
1 Year Member

Haha yeah, I guess that was overlooked. But it's all good. I just wanted to figure out my wiring to start modifying the seat brackets to fit the Cutty.

There is one slot open in my fuse box, just never ran a fuse to there before. I usually run wires to the battery or auxiliary post and fuse 5 inches or so from the post, but I've never taken an electrical project this big before.

I was contemplating tapping into the power seat circuit (30A) that's stock in my car, just not sure if it can handle 2 power seat motors and 2 heaters. My car only has the driver's seat powered from factory, which I found strange.

The relay thing really does clear things up though, I never realized that the heater element was powered by a relay. Now I just have to figure out how the switch goes. I thought I ran blue to blue and pink to pink from the switch, but perhaps that's not so.