Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Do you have a sub anywhere else besides the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Do you have a sub anywhere else besides the trunk?

I have installed a couple of audio systems in trucks, but never in a car. I am not going to be putting a system in for awhile (maybe over the summer), but was just curious and like to dream.

I was looking through the threads on here (and people's pics of their setup) and everyone seems to put the sub in the trunk. I realize that this is ideal for a show, but what about when you're driving around? Can you really hear and feel the sub while you're driving if it's in the trunk? Wouldn't it muffle the sound?

Where else could you put one inside the car?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

I plan on putting a 8" sub in each door, and later put 8" sub in each panel next to rear seat.

Anything larger than a 10" would have to be in the trunk, unless its a flat sub or if you doing something crazy and dont need the back seat. LOL. And yes there still audible depending on how it vents into cabin may affect how you hear it.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
I plan on putting a 8" sub in each door, and later put 8" sub in each panel next to rear seat.

Anything larger than a 10" would have to be in the trunk, unless its a flat sub or if you doing something crazy and dont need the back seat. LOL. And yes there still audible depending on how it vents into cabin may affect how you hear it.
In the door panels?? WOW lol. You don't think that'll rattle the doors too much or be too close to you or passengers?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

An 8" sub isn't really as big as it seems, If the panel is done right, needs to or should be at least fiberglass with it reenforced and it will be just fine.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 AM

the trunk is fine in this car, the hole where the stock amp should be is plenty of porting into the cabin for me. but you could go even further and take out the rear speakers.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 PM

That's interesting to me...anybody else?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

you could do something with them in the rear deck but i just have a standard box, other than that i dont see what else there is for options

Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 AM

you could fab a 10" into a kick panel, maybe rebuild the console with some wood, and put a 10, 8 or 6 intheir, put a 6 or an 8 up in the rear deck would give you allota bass, i have some 6x9 woofers in my rear deck that i cross over just above my sub, which is at 90 hz, sounds really nice

Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 AM

I had 2 12"s in a fiberglass box in place of my rear seats- there are probably pics floating around here somewhere of it; and I know a few other monte guys that have done walls for pure competition.

I did mine more for show than anything- it wasn't really particularly any louder than the trunk setup (not drastically anyways since it wasn't a full wall or anything)- but it did look cool since each sub was right behind a front seat headrest. I also had a removable port in the center of the box to be able to play with tuning frequency.

Honestly, a sub in the trunk is still very loud inside the car- a lot of 10's and 12's, and larger require a pretty big box for maximum SPL- something you would have a hard time achieving inside the cabin without ripping out the back seats. Plus, you have to remember that lower frequencies are less direction. Putting some tweeters in the trunk would make them almost inaudible inside the car- but bass that low travels all over much better. Plus, if you have flip down seats- that helps a good bit too if you want it even louder.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Alright, thanks for your input guys...gives me something to think and dream about until summer

Quick Reply: Do you have a sub anywhere else besides the trunk?