Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

In-Dash GPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Default In-Dash GPS

Hey,
I'm looking to buy an In-dash GPS that has CD, iPod and GPS capabilities for under $500. I don't really car about DVD or bluetooth stuff but I'm sure it would be cool...Anyway, does anyone have one or know of any good ones from experience or what they've read or heard?

And how much is installation or is it a pretty easy DIY.

Thanks for any and all input.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 PM

it can be pretty easy, this unit im about to reccomend is, the pioneer avic u301BT, has everyhting you want, it even has bluetooth, and has the navi\cd you want, its not the best fetured unit and doesnt have that large of a screen but its a very practical unit.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...IC-U310BT.html

or the Pioneer AVIC-X710BT is another option. its a more full fetrued version with dvd, whitch means more wiring. persoanly you sound like you'd be happier with the first one i recomended, i can help you whitch ever you pick if your close enough if you arent i can always explain the wiring from here

the main differences between the 2 are, dvd play back, 3 sets of rca's out of the more expensive one, and most likly faster and couple more bells and whisles, like easier interface, so on. really though it's up to you. i dont think you'd lose any sq over an OEM deck to the first deck, you'll just have more options with the 2nd one for after market amps and what not.

Last edited by eviling; 08-10-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:39 AM

I was actually looking at the one you first mentioned. I took a look at it in Best Buy yesterday and really liked it. I guess my question was would it fit in a monte carlo. How much more in the 710? Thanks a lot for your input too.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 PM

it'll fit your g2g, just get a dash kit. and you're good to go i'd probobly get the cheaper one because you'll need a 100$ chime unit for your wire harness for an after market deck. really the major differences are larger screen, more responsive screen, and dvd. the 710 will require more complicated wiring too. i've never done one, im certain i could figuire one out but i woudln't start with my first deck being a navi unit like the 710, the other one is just standard wiring.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:48 AM

Where can I get a dash kit? And a chime unit?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:27 PM

If you go through Crutchfield, you can buy the GPS and they include the dash kit for free plus a discount on the OEM chime kit.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 AM

Link? And one more question, how would I change the bass and treble levels, would that still be possible with this?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM

yes and no, it wont be labaled bass and treble, but you'll be able to push and pull on 3 bands, for your lows, mids and highs to get a better sound out of the system. it's not as great for SQ control as the AVH4200, and 3200, but with them you'd also need to buy an external GPS Unit costing like 350$ + the 400-500$ deck persianly my favorite decks of there current line up, my buddy just got a 3200, its an awesome deck. but you want the GPS i woudln't go with them.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:19 AM

Ok so I'd have to buy a new dash kit for this to be able to fit? Any recommendations? Thanks for all the help too man.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:29 PM

I just checked Crutchfield, and the cheapest in-dash GPS is $500, and it has a fold out screen. Link here.

After you tell the site what car you have, they only show what will fit your car. They also include the dash kit for free, and they give you a discount on the chime kit. The regular price from them for the chime kit is $99, but the discount drops it down to $49.

Quick Reply: In-Dash GPS