Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Dash cam...

Old 11-23-2017, 01:15 AM
1 Year Member
Default Dash cam...

Would appreciate some advise on dash cams, was recently involved in an
accident with my 87 m.c., (I have been cleared of any wrong doing) but would like to install one anyway, seems to be quite a few on e-bay in the $60.00 range, are these a safe buy?, 1080 pixels seems to be the way to go, Can you suggest any brand names and models?. Thank you Ken

Old 11-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's a good one for a Cyber Monday deal:
Amazon Amazon

If you don't get this deal, I recommend the A119 to most people:
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-27-2017, 04:02 PM
1 Year Member

Thank you, I ordered one. Ken

Old 11-27-2017, 04:41 PM
1 Year Member
Default adaptor kit...

Should have asked before about the dash ca, I own 2 cars,is there a
convenient way to adapt the unit to both cars?, Kit?.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:48 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by oldredblackie
Should have asked before about the dash ca, I own 2 cars,is there a
convenient way to adapt the unit to both cars?, Kit?.
Depends on how you mount it to the window. I purchased 2 power supplies for my dash cam and ran the wires in both cars, and then I just pop my camera off the base and transfer between cars.

Maybe you can ask the company if they sell additional bases to mount to?

Old 12-02-2017, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Here's a good one for a Cyber Monday deal: https://www.amazon.com/Recorder-Wide.../?tag=toysb-20

If you don't get this deal, I recommend the A119 to most people: https://www.amazon.com/SpyTec-Versio.../dp/B01HN0HBFG

Just curious, what makes you prefer the A119 over other options? Have been toying with the idea of getting one myself, I've had way too many close calls living out here that were not my fault, but would be tough to prove without video unless I got lucky and someone else stopped. People just seem to be getting more aggressive as traffic increases.

My biggest concern is leaving it in the car, especially during summer heat, any experience with that? Ill take it out if I park somewhere odd (say going out to lunch or something), but for the most part it's parked in the garage at home or in a fenced / guarded / camera protected lot at work. Id like to find a unit I can leave in the car in the summer without it cooking the unit as I don't want to hassle with taking it into work.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:59 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Just curious, what makes you prefer the A119 over other options?
Good features for the price of it. It's a nice little cam.

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
My biggest concern is leaving it in the car, especially during summer heat, any experience with that? Ill take it out if I park somewhere odd (say going out to lunch or something), but for the most part it's parked in the garage at home or in a fenced / guarded / camera protected lot at work. Id like to find a unit I can leave in the car in the summer without it cooking the unit as I don't want to hassle with taking it into work.
If that's your biggest concern, just make sure it's a capacitor as the battery and not an Lithium or similar. They handle the heat better. I'm pretty sure the A119 as a capacitor, but double-check. I run a Mini 0806, and it's been messing up (shuts off randomly while driving) and I'm about to pull the trigger on the A119 when it finally goes.

I agree, people are stupid and I'm glad to have mine. Luckily I have never had to use it for a claim, but it does make me feel better when I have it in the car.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've replaced a Mini 0801 with an A119. Stealth is a big factor for me. Both of these cameras can be mounted where most of the body is on the opaque trim around the dashboard with just the lens looking forward. I hate anything that suction cups to the windshield.

I had Chibi's experience of the Mini rebooting or shutting off for no reason. It was installed for a few years, I guess I can't expect things like that to last in the heat. The A119 was a great replacement for a year then it started getting loose where it was adjustable, causing shaky video. I put a few dabs of hot melt glue in places to stop the shakes. Can't adjust it any more but I'm not making a cinemascope movie.

It did prove that another party did not signal when changing a lane, which was what led up to the demise of the Monte.

For the first time ever shown on MCF, The Heart Breaker:

Last edited by Barovelli; 12-04-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Search this Thread