Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

custom sub enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 PM

you should never sacrafice your spare for your amps, and it's just not a good place. and never mount amps on your sub box, your just making it easier for the thieves.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 PM

build a flat face subwoofer box across the back of the trunk for my square kicker sub.
Not sure what your plans are, but I wouldn't build a wall all the way across- I'd try and just do a separate box (ie that still has air room around the sides)- I've noticed losses in cars I've done in the past from just having a box there to having a box with a false front wall that goes clear across the trunk (since you're really sealing it off from your cabin more- especially if you get behind the rear deck with the wall). It definitely looks better and more integrated with a solid front piece wall- it looks like it ties in better with the trunk, but performance will suffer (you lose enough shoving the box all the way to the front of the trunk anyways).

Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 AM

One great thing about the Solo Baric Kickers is that they do not require much air, trust me. Look at the diagram that is provided, if do not have one I can provide one. I have a spare L5 2 ohm (I wire to 1 Ohm) in my living room right now. My L5 bangs hard and I don’t have the sub setting high by any means, and my box is relatively small.

Last edited by Mac7504; 07-10-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:29 AM

yes, the solobaric are nice subs. I realize I will be losing sound by creating that wall, (i havent worked out the specifics yet) but the wall will most likely have a port for the sub integrated top or bottom, and 2 air ports for sound/air to travel to the front of the car on the sides.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Not sure what your plans are, but I wouldn't build a wall all the way across- I'd try and just do a separate box (ie that still has air room around the sides)- I've noticed losses in cars I've done in the past from just having a box there to having a box with a false front wall that goes clear across the trunk (since you're really sealing it off from your cabin more- especially if you get behind the rear deck with the wall). It definitely looks better and more integrated with a solid front piece wall- it looks like it ties in better with the trunk, but performance will suffer (you lose enough shoving the box all the way to the front of the trunk anyways).
That's true, but you could also integrate some vents for the air to pass thru the wall for it to get into the cabin. Something like this:

Old 07-11-2010, 01:18 PM

I am not worried about my spare, I have AAA lol, but it is something that crossed my mind.

MOunting your amp on your box Not only makes it easier to steal, but the vibrations can sometimes cause components within the amp to fail because they just are not made to handle that type of abuse

Yes, once the ball gets rolling and i get the specs worked out, I will most likely try to develo some sort of port for air to flow the the fron of the car from the trunk as well as a port for the sub

Old 07-11-2010, 02:03 PM

I dunno man, i've never bought into the "don't mount the amp on the sub box cause it'll break" line of thinking.......If you had a box that wasn't very sturdy and flexed then I'd say yeah don't put it there but if your box is stout then I can't imagine the sound waves/vibrations being any worse on the box than anywhere else in the trunk. Cause with any system that really bangs, your whole car is going to feel reverberations from the bass no matter what. I mean damn, my steering wheel flexes when my bass hits! Let's be honest here, components can be bad/go bad inside an amp regardless of where it's mounted. I can't see how mounting an amp to one of the most rigid areas in the car (the sub box) would be any worse than mounting it to the trunk floor under a nice trim panel.

I've seen people mount their amps inside their sub box before, FYI.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 PM

very nice set up you have there, did you make that box yourself? what type of material/sub is that?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 AM

Had my amps mounted with this setup for over 6 years...still going strong...I've went through two Solo Barics and still have the same Crossfire amps...Mind you, all mounted on the box...I've not noticed a loss in performance due to my "wall" cuz its not, it a fully fitted box...Am I missing something...???...

Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mac7504
Had my amps mounted with this setup for over 6 years...still going strong...I've went through two Solo Barics and still have the same Crossfire amps...Mind you, all mounted on the box...I've not noticed a loss in performance due to my "wall" cuz its not, it a fully fitted box...Am I missing something...???...
thank you so much for pointing that out. so many people insist mounting the amps to the box is a surefire way to kill the amp, I just can't buy in to that theory.

Quick Reply: custom sub enclosure