Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Crimp or Solder

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Default Crimp or Solder

Do you guys crimp or solder your connection when you wiring in a stereo or any other aftermarket electronics?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Default RE: Crimp or Solder

Not to flame you, but that isn't the best written poll here.

Which do you want the hamburger or the taco - Yes.

See where I'm going with this. Anyway I just crimp and it's for safety reasons. My dad was soldering some CB connections in his74 RamChargerand had to get out for a bit to check on us kids for a bit (back in the mid 80's) and he had the solder iron secured in the holder, but the holder tipped (might have been some twisting pressure on the power cord) and the truck just lit up.

We got it fixed later on, but I learned it just isn't worth it and I don't notice the sound difference anyway.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 AM

HAHAHA I just caught on to my mistake. I always seem to mess that up.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

While I wait for the poll to be revised, I vote for crimp when done properly.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I try to solder when its safe inside the dash. If not, then it gets crimped.

Hamburger or taco? can i have both? A hambaco?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:25 PM

well i guess im strange then. I soldier all the stuff in my car.

BUT!!!
I MEAN BUT!!!!!

i normally just get the adaptor for the stereo to the car plugs. this plugs in to the cars harness. and then i take the one off the stereo and the adaptor take them to the bench and cut the proper amount of wire and shrink wrap (stuff for wireing not for sanwitches)
and i put the shrink wrap on the wires. then i soldier it all togeather ont hebench and heat shrink all of the connections wiht the shrink wrap.

Then i plug it in to the car and then tot he stereo or vise versa.
and install as normal for the rest of it.

I haven tnoticed a sound diffrence but i have noticed i dont have the wires come apart and have a speaker gain a short or go out complelty so i have to go threw it all to figure out whitch one it was agian.
Also im not running the normal system that you have your sparkomatic speakers hooked to with your favor 8 track in it an djust wan tto hear noise.
I have base in mine and it dose tend to viberate the car a bit so it will shake things apart that should not always come apart LOL

?Not in anyway picking on anyones fisher price stereos or sparkomatic speakers. I would never Talk bad about R.J. like that in here.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I crimp them so if I need to reverse something, I can open up the connector and I dont loose any wire.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 PM

A crimped splice is OK if you are dealing with CB Radio and you don't mind losing high frequencies because there's no fidelity to static.

A soldered splice and connections have no resistance and won't attract spurious RF if you make a good splice and apply heat shrink. They don't cause static from being loose.

Any stereo installer worth his salt solders EVERYTHING!

Ev-ree-thing!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:17 PM

Solder FTW!

It's the only way to go

Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 PM

Any stereo installer worth his salt solders EVERYTHING!
x2. If you know how to properly solder, the joints will be far stronger and more consistent than crimping.

My dad was soldering some CB connections in his74 RamChargerand had to get out for a bit to check on us kids for a bit (back in the mid 80's) and he had the solder iron secured in the holder, but the holder tipped (might have been some twisting pressure on the power cord) and the truck just lit up.
That is why your best bet is to place the holder on the ground beside the car. If you're just using a pencil type (ie no external box), then thats just as easy. If you must place the holder in the car, you just remove it when you leave the vehicle.

To me, this is like saying you'd never weld exhaust on because of the various dangers associated with welding and possibly catching the car on fire, so you only use clamps. Done properly and carefully- welding is a better connection- you just have to follow basic safety rules.