Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Changing Factory Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Changing Factory Antenna

Hey everyone,

I've got the factory head unit and antenna in my '00. However, with the antenna being in the windshield I tend to loose reception often and the sound isn't comparable to my '04 Silverado.

My question is how can I swap antennas on the factory radio? Can it be done without going after-market? I assume that you just pop the radio out and on the back there is the co-axle for the factory antenna and you would just take that off and pop on the new antenna, run it and set it. Am I correct?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 AM

Hi `Mike, I don't have your answer , but we have several experts in this area & I hope they read your thread & can help.
Below is a link 2 check out until a member with the answer posts....Good Luck

http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=1196

Example:
Ant Adapter40-GM10 </B>
Adapts aftermarket radio to factory antenna connection GM factory antenna to aftermarket radio ****** connection $7.99Ant Adapter40-GM20 </B>
Adapts aftermarket antenna to factory radio GM Antenna Adapter Into OEM Radio (******) GM factory radio to aftermarket antenna $7.95

Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 AM

yeah, but you need an antena with the right size jack, the stock jack for these cars isn;'t the standard size. as you can see in the links above, their are adapters, the bottom one is the one i believe you would need. that one takes a standard size down to the size you need.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

you can simply just buy an antenna adapter and an aftermarket adapter and you will be fine to run that antenna wherever you wish

Old 01-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Where do you intend to mount it? There's not a lot of flat horizontal space on these cars, other than the trunk lid and hood. I suppose you could go on the roof, but it may look a little reminescent of the old CB radio antennas.

Is it possible the antenna wire in your car got damaged somehow? Maybe your existing antenna can be repaired?

Old 01-23-2011, 02:40 PM

Your factory unit should work pretty well with the factory antenna. There's a circuit in the factory headunit that "boosts" the radio signal. Pretty sure your antenna is in the rear glass at the top (at least mine is). Window tint can affect reception too. After installing an aftermarket headunit and tinting the glass, my factory antenna is more or less useless. I tried different amplified aftermarket antennas and they didn't work very well. I mainly listen to cd's now. I'd check your connections and the little thin antenna wires first. Don't wanna waste money on crazy aftermarket antennas that guarantee you to pick up radio in China.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:53 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jimbo7
Your factory unit should work pretty well with the factory antenna. There's a circuit in the factory headunit that "boosts" the radio signal. Pretty sure your antenna is in the rear glass at the top (at least mine is). Window tint can affect reception too. After installing an aftermarket headunit and tinting the glass, my factory antenna is more or less useless. I tried different amplified aftermarket antennas and they didn't work very well. I mainly listen to cd's now. I'd check your connections and the little thin antenna wires first. Don't wanna waste money on crazy aftermarket antennas that guarantee you to pick up radio in China.
+1
I cant even go to drive in movies now.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
+1
You still have drive in movies?

Is there an in-line signal booster he can hook up? What does everyone else with a non-stock stereo do if their antennas don't pick up anything?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
+1
my after market unit has no problem with reception, and if its that big of a problem step up to HD radio or you could always get a power antena?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
You still have drive in movies?

Is there an in-line signal booster he can hook up? What does everyone else with a non-stock stereo do if their antennas don't pick up anything?
listen to cd's

the radio still works in my, it's just not the clearest signal. it gets pretty staticy sometimes which really annoys me.

Quick Reply: Changing Factory Antenna