Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

cd player swap and no im in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Default cd player swap and no im in trouble

[:@]my sisters boyfriend felt the need to try and install his own cd player in an 02 SS and since he cut all the wires and tried to hook up the new cd player but he had the wrong harness so he hooked it upbut sumthin happend and now there is nothing, it only clicks with the clicks the needles and the gauges start to twitch and the lights flicker but when you turn the key it goes dead any on know whathe did

Old 02-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Default RE: cd player swap and no im in trouble

sounds like the battery is low try giving it a jump

Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 AM

tried to jump it for about fifteen mins

Old 02-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

looks like he's cut into the wrong wiring...take it to a stereo shop and have them do it right...stereo wiring in the dash board is something i will never get into because there's so many wires...most of them are pretty easy and i could probably do it...but i wont just in case stuff like this happens...leave it to the people that do it every day

Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with wiz kidd. Take it to the pros. Even they will have problems. These are complicated, not like older cars. I've installed stereos in most every car I've ever had (I'm 53), but I won't touch one of these.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 PM

here is how to fix it
go to a bone yard or the dealer and find the next plug that will allow you to replae the factory plug on your harness, then replace it.
get the new plug for a after market deck and do it the right way other wise your going to be chasing a short for years to come.
good luck

Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 PM

Definately. I know some models had the starter kill if it detected someone trying to hotwire the car. If this is the case it could mean you have to have a dealer reset it, cause I don't know if it can be reset by anything other than the dealer.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:06 PM

that is just the best thing i can tell ya to do. there has to be a plug under the dash that that harness plugs in to. I would change out any that he has butcherd now while they are easy to find other wise if ya chose to keep the car for a while it could have any number of shorts or issues due to cutting the wrong wires under the dash.

I refuse to cut wires. other then the two i have and those were curtisy lights. so if anythign happens i dont have the floor bord lights (darn) but other then that nothing has been cut on my car only added to it. or wired to a seprate fuse pannel in the car for just this reason . I had a car that all i did was chase bad wireing so i refuse to do it again. took months to find a short and looking back now i should have spent the 100.00 for the harness would have saved me alot of time and headachs from chasing the short.
finally found it as a wire that had a bad but connector on it and when i would test threw it it would test fine but when you let go of it it would break connection. go figure i found it by chance one day when i was doing somethign under the hood it sparked and i knew it was part of that system .

Old 03-15-2007, 02:40 AM

These cars are hard enough to workon without some idiot cutting wires instead of flipping the bill for even the $20 harness. I would get a harness from a boneyard or do some trace wiring with the old harness and reconnect it.

Worst case is you will need to tow it to a stereo shop... I do recommend Best Buy for this if they install Viper Alarms. Those techs ARE actually trained and are very good at their jobs.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: stratax8x

[:@]my sisters boyfriend felt the need to try and install his own cd player in an 02 SS and since he cut all the wires and tried to hook up the new cd player but he had the wrong harness so he hooked it upbut sumthin happend and now there is nothing, it only clicks with the clicks the needles and the gauges start to twitch and the lights flicker but when you turn the key it goes dead any on know whathe did
um, yeah, without knowing what wires he cut it's kinda hard to say. The stupidest thing anyone could do is cut the factory harness, I sure hope he didn't do that

Quick Reply: cd player swap and no im in trouble