Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

car audio q...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Exclamation car audio q...

First post, yall, happy to be here...

My girl bought our, (her,) 01 MC SS a few months ago and we've been pretty happy with it so far. One thing I was really impressed with was the factory system. -BUT- my motto is, if it ain't broke, make it better.

Now I used to be sort of a wiz w car audio, but after a recent bout with drugs, my memory just isn't what it used to be. I have an old 12 in a box with a few amps on top and I'm itching to get em hooked up, but due to out recent move, cash is strrrrrrrraaaaaapped. I can't throw a new head unit in for a while. I wanna wire it through the existing amp with isolated power from the battery, but I can't decide if this is just a flat out bad idea...

Any and all input is greatly appreciated...

Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM

You don't need a new head unit at all to run this. I've got 2 12's in my 2001 SS (recent project) and split the speaker signal from the rear speakers and ran it to a line output converter (about $20). You could easily split the speaker signal from the amp too, just use a wiring diagram: 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Car Audio Wiring Diagram
this should work fine

Depending on the speaker inputs your amp takes, you could either use the LOC or just run wires directly if it has high level input. (low level input is the rca plugs)

I ran my own power from the battery, the ground just under my backseat, and the remote wire from the cig/aux fuse in the driver side fuse box. Works great!

I wouldn't recommend splitting any power or ground from the amp tho, I tested the power to it and nothing would be sufficient to turn on the amp. And a higher gauge power wire to the battery is best.

I just took the time and did the work, no shortcuts or anything. Did a damn good job too, I might add.

If you have any other questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer. Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM

What exactly do you mean when you say "I wanna wire it through the existing amp"?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 PM

Alright, first things first, I very recently installed a system in my nearly identical Monte, and it wasn't too difficult and I'm very pleased with the results (pictures yet to come).

So having gone through this I would recommend NOT wiring anything from your existing amp except your speaker wires. Especially if you're planning on keeping your factory head unit (in which case, you'll probably need a line out converter). I split the speaker leads closer to the speakers themselves, but whatever works. Here's a wiring color code for the amp: 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Car Audio Wiring Diagram

Next run your power wire (probably 4 gauge or bigger) to your battery and ground wire to a solid ground (car body?) I'm sure you know this, but gotta make sure
And for the remote wire - I tested several of the wires on the amp plugs and none would supply sufficient voltage for the switch. I just did the work, took the time, and ran it to the CIG/AUX fuse in my driver side fusebox. I had several other ideas but this was definitely the most consistent.

If you have any other questions, ask and I'll do what I can do answer.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Just a quick hook-up to the outgoing speaker wires.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 PM

So, is it a bad idea to hook up a sub and amp to an otherwise factory system? As long as you do it right, not at all.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Yeah I agree. As long as it's just the speakers, you should be fine. I did the same thing (very recent project, pictures coming soon), just had to run it to a LOC first and used rca's from there to my amp. No problems, works perfectly.