Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Bypass factory amp to get better sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bypass factory amp to get better sound?

I'm sure as everyone knows that when you put a replacement deck in your monte that the sound quality is very low... I was reading somewhere about bypassing the factory amp to get the full sound from the factory speakers... I can't find this post/thread though anywhere. I've searched the web as well, but not knowing "what" I'm looking for it's been hard to find!

I have a 2005 MC LT it doesn't have Bose sound, it's actually a Panasonic amp in the back.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM

so like are you talking about hooking up ur stock speakers to an aftermarket amp?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by captaindamnit
so like are you talking about hooking up ur stock speakers to an aftermarket amp?
No hooking up an aftermarket deck to the factory speakers via some sort of bypassing of the factory amp.
so no amp at all, just the deck to the speakers like in a normal car lol.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:36 PM

You could unhook the harness at your amp and connect the input and ouput wires for each speaker. Pretty easy to do, and basically free.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member

Connect them where?

Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 PM

Connect the input wires to the output wires from the harness, then your head unit will be directly connected to the speaker instead of running through the amp.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
Connect the input wires to the output wires from the harness, then your head unit will be directly connected to the speaker instead of running through the amp.
Can you explain this a bit more? I'm having the same issue with my new rear speakers. Are you talking about where the wires come off the amp...splice that wire onto the new speaker? So say for the rear left -- the wires are red and white. Would I snip the red and white coming off the harness from the amp and attach it to the speaker directly?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Ok, on the harness that connects to the amp, for each speaker there's a + and - wire for the input (coming from headunit), and a + and - for the output (going to speakers). Connect the input + to the output + and the input - to the output - for every speaker. Leave the harness unhooked from the amp. You have just bypassed the factory amp.

You don't even have to cut any wires if you don't want to. Just use a short piece of wire to jump the pins on the harness.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 PM

i sont think thats the best idea.

personally idont think you speakers will better louder or play clearer, with just an aftermarket deck and amp.

i would upgrade your speakers b4 replacing the amp.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:54 AM
Default Aftermarket amp instead of factory amp

Originally Posted by captaindamnit
Aftermarket amp instead of factory amp bypass

Quick Reply: Bypass factory amp to get better sound?