Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Blown speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Default Blown speakers?

I installed my amp but now the right speakers on the front and the back doesn't produce sound unless the radio is turned all the way up and then theres static. Do you think I blew the speakers? I thought that could be it but i've never blown two speakers together before especially like that

Old 04-27-2006, 01:14 AM
Default RE: Blown speakers?

I find it highly unlikely that you blew only the right side speakers. To test this theory, connect the right side speaker to the left channel on the amp and see if the result is the same, if it is, it's a speaker problem. If it's not, the problem is in the amp. Check your gains and crossover settings, set the right side as the left side is set(if you even have control for left and right). Make sure your rca's are connected properly and basically double check all wiring. Get back to me with your findings.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:49 AM

I thought of that as soon as i posted the question so I went and did that. The right side isn't blown but there is still no sound just static when i turn the volume all the way up. So the amp can cause the right side blow completely? Is there a fuse for that or do I need to get a new amp? Thanks for your help by the way

Old 04-27-2006, 01:55 AM

ORIGINAL: enigmatic23

I thought of that as soon as i posted the question so I went and did that. The right side isn't blown but there is still no sound just static when i turn the volume all the way up. So the amp can cause the right side blow completely? Is there a fuse for that or do I need to get a new amp? Thanks for your help by the way
You thought of what and did what? I love car audio and love helping people with it whenever possible. Connect one of the right side speakers to the left channel on the amp and tell me what happens, if it plays fine, it's an amp problem, if it doesn't play then it's indeed a speaker problem.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:11 AM

It's an amp problem. I connected the right side to the left side and it played fine. I guess i'll have to find a new amp

Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 AM

It's an amp problem. I connected the right side to the left side and it played fine. I guess i'll have to find a new amp
Just for the hell of it, switch the rca's and see if that alleviates the problem. But if you need an amp, I've got a Soundstream Reference 414S for sale

Old 04-27-2006, 04:41 PM

I called cartoys and they said I couldn't bypass it with my factory radio and the only other way is to get an aftermarket radio. So is there a way to bypass it without changing my factory radio?

Old 04-27-2006, 07:54 PM

Along the same lines.. whats the best ( or recommended) 2 ohm speakers for the mc?.

Infinity?

Memphis?.

????

Tj

Old 04-27-2006, 07:55 PM

I called around and asked about the factory amp's price. They said it would be over $700 and i'm not paying that. I called cartoys and they said I couldn't bypass it with my factory radio and the only other way is to get an aftermarket radio. So is there a way to bypass it without changing my factory radio?
Yes, you can bypass the factory amp while keeping your factory head unit. Do a google search for Impala amp bypass and you'll find all the info you need.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: 03SSdriver
Along the same lines.. whats the best ( or recommended) 2 ohm speakers for the mc?.
Infinity?
Memphis?.
Tj
Best is a subjective term, although I'd lean towards the Infinity over most others out there. If I didn't already have a competent setup with my Polk Audio mids/highs, I'd definitely pick up some Infinity's. And good luck finding 2ohm mids/highs while being able to keep all your limbs

Quick Reply: Blown speakers?