Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Battery Relocation, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member
Default Battery Relocation, any advice?

Title pretty much says it all. As many of you know I'm cleaning up the engine bay/entire car, while revamping my suspension. I'm going to be getting an Optima Yellow Top within the next few weeks. I've got a few mounting plates/boxes in mind. Anyways, does anyone have any advice on doing this? Would 2 gauge wire work? Any advice on best place to put it in the trunk? Where would the best place to ground it be? And would you recommend running the wires under the body or on the inside? If I put it on the exterior I'll definitely find some way to cover the wires, and keep them tight with the underside, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Also, in case you can't tell, I'm clearly not going for all out performance with my Monte so no need to tell me to keep the weight up front and not move it to the back

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 09-12-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Yeah I'm thinking I'll just go with a kit like that. Thanks for the link!

They seem to be a little cheaper than piecing it all together.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Summit has an ebay store too, you may be able to get a deal going that route

Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

I've always wanted a battery relocation kit when I had my Nova, also I bought my tips and mufflers through e-bay via summit.....

Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

What's the advantage you're getting by moving it to the trunk? I've been thinking of doing this too so I can make a better CAI. I want to make a CAI style like the 6th gens and a box like you made yourself Justin. If I wanted to do that my battery has to move. Looking forward to your updates

Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 AM

3 Year Member

I saw that! Some items are priced better on eBay but some are priced better directly through Summit's site. A little strange but it looks like it may be a little cheaper on eBay, and I get eBay bucks

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
I've always wanted a battery relocation kit when I had my Nova, also I bought my tips and mufflers through e-bay via summit.....
Nice! I've bought a few things from them online too, probably will continue to buy more haha.

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
What's the advantage you're getting by moving it to the trunk? I've been thinking of doing this too so I can make a better CAI. I want to make a CAI style like the 6th gens and a box like you made yourself Justin. If I wanted to do that my battery has to move. Looking forward to your updates
I'm not sure that there's any real advantage to moving it back there. I'm pretty much doing it just for looks. It would take some more clutter out of the engine bay. If I can safely put a sealed battery in the back then I definitely will

My K&N intake will actually be coming up for sale here soon. Making something custom and more awesome, going to keep it a surprise til I'm done though

And I have an idea in my head for where the battery currently is but I can't share. Gotta keep that quite too. If I can make it happen, should look pretty cool.

Is there anyone here with a 6th gen that has relocated their battery? I know I've seen a few that have a second battery in the trunk, usually for a large stereo, I'm only wanting to have one battery and have it in the trunk.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
I saw that! Some items are priced better on eBay but some are priced better directly through Summit's site. A little strange but it looks like it may be a little cheaper on eBay, and I get eBay bucks

Nice! I've bought a few things from them online too, probably will continue to buy more haha.

I'm not sure that there's any real advantage to moving it back there. I'm pretty much doing it just for looks. It would take some more clutter out of the engine bay. If I can safely put a sealed battery in the back then I definitely will

My K&N intake will actually be coming up for sale here soon. Making something custom and more awesome, going to keep it a surprise til I'm done though

And I have an idea in my head for where the battery currently is but I can't share. Gotta keep that quite too. If I can make it happen, should look pretty cool.

Is there anyone here with a 6th gen that has relocated their battery? I know I've seen a few that have a second battery in the trunk, usually for a large stereo, I'm only wanting to have one battery and have it in the trunk.
I can see how it would clean things up. Especially make it clean for running power and ground wires to your amp for the subs

Keep up the cool ideas

Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 AM

People used to move them to the trunk for weight distribution. It also keeps the battery away from the engine heat. The new Dodge Challengers have them in the trunk.

You have to make sure you have the right gauge cables to go that distance..

Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ive thought of doing that before, it'll definitly clean up the engine bay some. Best place I could think was the spare tire area and running the wires underneath the car, then just run them through the drain plugs that are in the trunk Lol
Ive also thought of relocating my coolant reservoir tank but I'm just leaving everything where it is.... No need for my engine bay to look all clean and pretty, I'm the only one that sees it most of the time anyways lol and I drive the car everyday... My motor already had a bunch of debris all over it after 2-3 days of driving it

But yours is looking Pretty badass now

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation, any advice?