Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Back of the stock stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Default Back of the stock stereo?

Hey guys, here's my sob story:

I have a 2002 monte LS, as a temporary alternative for putting an expensive system in my car, I swapped out the factory speakers with JBL power series in the doors, and alpine type s 6x9's in the back. I also bought a nifty little kit that allows me to use my iPod through the speakers and use the steering wheel controls, and also charges the iPod. iPod2Car it's called. SWEET! I thought quite naively. Then I went to install it. One wiring harness I thought, easy as pie. I need to attach one wire from the harness to a constant +12V and the other to a ground wire, and then unplug a plug on the back of the factory stereo and plug it into this ipod2car box, and then another cable goes back to the factory stereo. So I spent 45 minutes trying to get through the back and unplug it and cut the crap outta my hands, but now I got it plugged in. All that's left is the 2 loose wires (Constant +12V, and Ground), but I don't know what to connect them to.

2 Questions

1- Where the hell is all of the wiring I need to splice into for the stereo, and which wire does what? Do I have to take the dash apart to get at it? (because I'd like to avoid that if possible)

2- Should I disconnect the battery if I'm splicing into the ground and the +12V wires?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 AM
Default RE: Back of the stock stereo?

Alright so I figured it out. The only problem now is that the damn thing shuts my factory stereo off. The thing is called iPod2car. I have to connect one plug which I did, and then aattach 2 wires. Whenever I attach the yellow wire to the constant +12V, the factory stereo shuts itself off. I'm pretty sure the actual box is defective. I'm gonna go exchange it tomorrow, I'll keep you guys updated.