Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Automatic Windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Automatic Windows

Hey guys, I've been wanting to make my passenger window have the same auto down capability as the driver side. Anyone know the best way to do this? I don't know if replacing the motor with one from the drivers side of some other Monte would work or is it something other than the motor that tells it to go all the way down?

Old 10-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Default RE: Automatic Windows

i was also trying to do this on mine. What i did find out is it is not the motor it is the switch.
If you look on the next in the camaro fourms there is a guy that figured out how to make it work like this. Basicly you need to run it threw a rely that will hold the button down long enough for it to lower the window. then if you want them to auto close you need one for each of those functions also.

It was not a hard thing to do but it would take some time.

Also at one time DESS said to look at the newer 08 silverado they do this from the factory and the switches looked liek they might be the same size. I never had a chance to do it before i sold my monte.

BUT. if you do it or buy the switches you could possabbly make them work.
the insides fo the switches them selves are not to complicated. so i would not think it would be hard to figure out how to make them fit or work on our cars. if they are even close to the right size you might be up for a custom door pannel now LOL
That could be a good weekend project considering they fit in to the plastic part on the door pannel get some and make a new one out of a bone yard part and fiber glass to make it look right paint and replace valla done and nobody would know the diffrence till you told them

Old 10-05-2008, 08:39 PM

Thanks Mickey, knowing that it's the switch should help me out quite a bit. The switch for the drivers window in my Monte has two ways of working, pushing the switch down all the way and letting go will do the automatic, pushing partly down will just roll 'till ya stop. So I'll have to start calling some junk yards and seeing if they've any Monte's laying around. Guess it's a good thing I'm making a trip to Denver Friday.

Do ya happen to have the link to the Camaro forum?

Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 PM

yeah mine was the same way. when you push it all the way down it makes contact with a smaller switch in there that has a timmed cicrcut in it. causeing it to allow the window to roll all the way down. Might not be timed now that i think of it but it is set up to where it will allow it to go down.

If you are real good with a solding iron i would think you could litterly take two switches and combine them on one bord and make it the right size to fit your enclosure in the door pannel.
I started to do it as i had two driver side switches. but never got it finished befor ei sold the monte.

But the cicrcut it actually pretty simpel.
push all the way down it contacts the switch causeing it to go all the way down. I would think that if you set it up to where it could do it again it might beabel to roll it back up also.

look at auto alarms with a window down controll modual. that would be the easiest way to do it. wire one in to each side of the motor to get the auto up and down feature on the both sides. you would need a total of three to go up and down on both sides or one for just down on the pass side.

you might also check in to the sun roof switches int he 6th gens. mine would go to a vent positin and then also all the way open. this would give you a option of like half way down or to a vent positin and then also the full down fuction.
just a thought.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 PM

That's a thought, I hadn't thought of any sunroof switches. Guess I need to start calling around seeing if there are any decent scrap yards around.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:35 PM

Doesn't the window module for the viper alarm system do the samething? I know that is probably the more expensive route, but I am pretty sure it does as thats what a friend has in his truck that operates his passenger window like that.