Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

audio help

Old 10-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Default audio help

my lil brother just giv me this capacitor....
no markings of any kind, no idea what it is.....
any help with these pics?
and will it keep my lights from dimming when the bass hitts?
any help guys?

Old 10-23-2010, 04:25 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It should. Just be careful when loading it into the system. It looks like either a 1 or 2 farad capacitor with digital display. It is like an energy reserve that your system can draw upon during high demand. Good luck!

When I load a capacitor into my system without the included resistor, I use a light bulb in its place. The light bulb will reduce the chance of sparking when you hook it up.

Last edited by MillerMonteSS; 10-23-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Lightbulb...
Old 10-23-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
It should. Just be careful when loading it into the system. It looks like either a 1 or 2 farad capacitor with digital display. It is like an energy reserve that your system can draw upon during high demand. Good luck!

When I load a capacitor into my system without the included resistor, I use a light bulb in its place. The light bulb will reduce the chance of sparking when you hook it up.

will it short out anything?
could i just unhook the wire from the battery, hook the compacitor up, then hook wire baqct to battery?

whats the best way to keep from frying anything?

Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 PM

2010 Monte Of The Year

I would not recommend disconnecting the battery during a capacitor hook up. All that this will do is move the location that the sparking will occur. You DO NOT want there to be sparking near your battery. Your battery produces hydrogen gas and a spark near it can be DEVASTATING if there is any cracks in the case that would allow this gas to escape.

To hook up the capacitor, without the supplied resistor, attach the negative cable to the capacitor first. Then, with the positive terminal of the capacitor touching the base of a light bulb (a house hold light bulb will work fine), touch the positively charged cable to the aluminum side of the light bulb base for about 10 seconds. This eliminates the large spark storm by using the light bulb filament as a resistor. Once the time has elapsed, remove the light bulb and attach the positively charged cable to the capacitor. There may be some slight sparking, but nothing dangerous. Good luck. A properly placed capacitor will prevent any damage to your electrical system caused by an undue strain on the battery.

Last edited by MillerMonteSS; 10-23-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:05 PM

ok, now i see the + & - on the top.....
didnt see that before, so how does it hook up??
does it use the amps ground wire too
do i just splice it into the + & - wires on the amp?
or does it need a seperate ground?

the sparking is nothing im scared of , ive had them blow up on me before.....
i also have the msd box pulling off the battery, so when hooking it up, it sparks hard everytime, lol

Old 10-23-2010, 06:10 PM

2010 Monte Of The Year

You will use the same ground that you use for the amp, just make sure its a really good one. The ground connects to the cap, then on to the ground on the amp. Your main power wire will go from your battery to your cap, then on to the main power port of the amp. If you use a distribution block, the block will be between the cap and the other electrical components that you have running off of the line.

P.S. Not good that you have massive sparking around the battery...

Old 10-23-2010, 06:16 PM

dude, u just lost my *** again?
wtf is a distribution block?
do i just splice it in to the wires as the wires are ran now?
or do i need more stuff??

Old 10-23-2010, 06:20 PM

2010 Monte Of The Year

PM sent

Old 10-23-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
I would not recommend disconnecting the battery during a capacitor hook up. All that this will do is move the location that the sparking will occur. You DO NOT want there to be sparking near your battery. Your battery produces hydrogen gas and a spark near it can be DEVASTATING if there is any cracks in the case that would allow this gas to escape.

To hook up the capacitor, without the supplied resistor, attach the negative cable to the capacitor first. Then, with the positive terminal of the capacitor touching the base of a light bulb (a house hold light bulb will work fine), touch the positively charged cable to the aluminum side of the light bulb base for about 10 seconds. This eliminates the large spark storm by using the light bulb filament as a resistor. Once the time has elapsed, remove the light bulb and attach the positively charged cable to the capacitor. There may be some slight sparking, but nothing dangerous. Good luck. A properly placed capacitor will prevent any damage to your electrical system caused by an undue strain on the battery.

think i got it now

i didnt see this pic above

Old 10-23-2010, 06:34 PM

Oh boy......

I think the first thing you need to do is understand why your lights are dimming. 99% of the time it's because your charging system is being asked to supply more amperage than it can put out so at the moments of high demand power is pulled from the other devices that are also getting power, hence the dimming lights. So if your electrical system is already overloaded, adding another power drawing device to it is probably not a good idea. That's not to say a cap can't be something worth having in your system, but they are rarely used in the manner in which they can be utilized appropriately. People use them to make up for an incompetent charging system and that's not their intended use.

So what I think you should do is #1, have your battery tested to ensure it's strong. Then do the Big 3 wire upgrade. Alot of times a new battery and Big 3 will make a dramatic improvement on dimming. But if you're still getting noticeable dimming then you'd be better served getting a high output alternator instead of a cap or more batteries. Adding batteries can help a bit, but they will also put more strain on your already stressed charging system so like a cap it will only be a band-aid when what you really need are stitches.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: audio help