Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Amp hook up

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Default Amp hook up

Can someone post clear directions on how to hook up an aftermarket amp? If it has already been posted can someone point me to the link? Do I splice into the black plug that goes to the factory amp or just cut it off and tie the LOC into the wires. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Okay, everything I'm about to say is assuming that you want the amp for a subwoofer.

You will need to disconnect the battery (take the ground off of it). Then either find a rubber grommet that's already in your Monte's firewall or tap a hole and place one in there to run your power wire through. Make sure that you keep the power wire on the same side of the Monte as your battery (passenger side on 6th gens). Find a way to run the power wire through your interior to your amp, try to make sure it looks clean. Then you will need your ground wire for your amp. Find a good location to put that (I look for something that has a nut on it already). The ground has to be bare metal. Don't connect the power and ground wires to the amp yet, just have them ready.

Next is easy if you have an aftermarket head unit. Hook up your RCA cables to the back of the head unit and run them on the opposite side of the Monte that the power wire is on to the amp. Also hook up the small remote turn on wire to the head unit and also to the amp. Then wire the speakers to the amp. Now install the power and ground wires, and also the ground wire to the battery and you are all set.

Edit: I forgot to mention that your power wire needs an inline fuse. Make sure the fuse is within about 18" of the battery (I usually do it about 12").

Here's a simple diagram I found online:

Old 05-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the reply zipper but actually I want to use the factory receiver and hook the amp to the door and deck speakers. Of course all four will be changed from factory to aftermarket. But yea, this is something I was looking for but more along the lines of how to hook up the line out converter at the factory amp.
Thanks again...

Old 05-21-2010, 03:27 PM

Just a quickie here, make sure your inline fuse rating is the same as what the fuses in your amp add up to.
For example: If you have four 25amp fuses in your amp, your inline fuse needs to be 100amp.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the quickie, I would have never known that.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:20 PM

Yeah, a buddy never knew that, had 100amp from his fuses in his amp and put a 250 amp in the in-line. fried the amp. I mean the amp was staring to turn that purple/blue/red/black you know like whhen metal heats up really bad.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Yeah, a buddy never knew that, had 100amp from his fuses in his amp and put a 250 amp in the in-line. fried the amp. I mean the amp was staring to turn that purple/blue/red/black you know like whhen metal heats up really bad.
I agree that the fuse size up front should be close to the total of the amps ratings- but the amp should never be able to use more current than its fuses allow. IE if it has 4x 25 amp fuses on the side, and you've got a 150 amp up front- it should blow the fuses on the side way before it ever gets close to blowing your fuse up front- much less overheating itself.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Just a quickie here, make sure your inline fuse rating is the same as what the fuses in your amp add up to.
For example: If you have four 25amp fuses in your amp, your inline fuse needs to be 100amp.
Well, yes and no. The reason the main power wire is fused is to prevent your car from catching fire in the even of a catastrophic failure, not to protect your amp. The fuses on the amp are there to protect it. You should fuse the power line based on the amount of current the wire can carry.

But using a smaller fuse than the rated amperage of the wire won't hurt anything, I just wanted to clarify the purpose of fusing the main power line.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM

alright well if your trying to hook up the amp to all your speakers you will need a 2-4 channel amp depending on what speakers you put in that will determine how big of an amp you can go but its pretty much the same thing as the sub hook up just a little smaller with more wire hope this can help you out at all

Old 05-24-2010, 10:19 AM

It a 4 channel 400 watt amp and my real question is do I unplug the black plug in at the factory amp and splice into the wires there?
Thanks again everyone

Quick Reply: Amp hook up