Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Aftermarket Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
If you do some research you can get some VERY nice FM transmitters. I bought one for my brother and it sounds like it's playing from a CD or MP3 player at all times. It's great and offers bluetooth for hands-free calling and ipod hook-up. Pretty sweet.
I stand corrected! That sounds pretty awesome! I would go this route if your not looking to make it sound any louder!

Old 09-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I guess I got lucky with my system....

The reason I didnt change out the radio etc. for an aftermarket one was for the simple fact that I liked the controls in the steering wheel...
and they didnt have a system that could incorporate those controls...
They did offer me a hand held remote....and i said I already have the controls at my finger tips...!!

So, I elected to go the other way and upgrade my speakers, amps and ad subs....
They also tuned the system to best match the factory radio...I had a complete MTX system instahled... by MTX techs....

Which means you do have options...That will improve the overall quality of the existing sound system you now have....
(I have pics in my garage of my system)

Old 09-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 09-23-2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by BethinIN
Maybe this is a stupid question.....I really want a new stereo in my car. I have original 2001 AC Delco CD/Tape combo in there now, but I use my iPod almost exclusively with a transmitter. I find the sound quality and volume levels lacking, so I really want a MP3-ready stereo.

If I get a new stereo installed, will the volume controls on the steering wheel still work? I never had those before but really like them.
My suggestion would be to get a deck with native ipod controls that way you can charge your ipod when it's connected and can control it's playback via the deck.

Simply replacing the deck will not retain your steering wheel controls, you'd have to buy a harness/module to retain them.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM

This may have been addressed before, but I'm new here so I'll go ahead and ask. I have a 2002 SS with the stock CD/Tape setup, and I know the stock radio is used for resetting various things as well as customizing setups on the car itself, such as the alarm system on/off, keyless entry controls, and headlight delay times, etc. How are these controlled if you go with an aftermarket system? I too use the tape deck with an adapter for my iPhone for music.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

So I've been thinking about what you all said. I like the steering wheel controls a lot, and I want to retain the reset controls operated through the radio. I was recently listening to a new CD through the stereo....and it sounded great! At least good enough for me. And my husband has said the same thing; the stock stereo in his 2002 S10 sounds great with CDs. So maybe the speakers aren't that bad either.

I'm perfectly willing to switch to a tape adapter rather than a FM transmitter....particularly if it improves the sounds quality, mostly volume. But I'm wondering if I really don't need some work done on my iTunes library instead. The volume seems to be the biggest issue. I remember toying around years ago with a program called MP3 gain but ditched it because I didn't want to mess up my library, which is rather extensive due to both my and hubby's music tastes.

Any imput on that? Programs to enhance MP3 quality?